FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Positive Experiences with UA
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:43 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
This isn't as overwhelmingly positive as some of my experiences but a "nice" but on my birthday flight IAD-ATL back in May my iPod Touch [squarely in Camp Android for everything but music] slipped out of a pocket without noticing until my wife and I were at the hotel a few hours later and I went to charge it. Filled out the missing on board report and when it hadn't shown up in a couple days assumed I'd never see it again -- this was also the week Apple announced they were killing the last of the iPod line so we detoured to buy the last one between Atlanta and Dallas (Mississippi FWIW). I initially had hope because most of my small electronics have a label on the back with name, email, and phone -- but alas.

Anyway I had completely forgotten about it until a couple weeks ago when I got a "We Found Your Item" -- nearly 6 months to the day -- email. I was suspicious -- did they actually find my item or just some random red Apple device? What had happened to it in 6 months? Folded in half? Run over by a tug? And I wasn't particularly excited about paying $30 for 2-day shipping (ground would have been fine...) but curiosity got the better of me, "stupid tax" was paid and FedEx delivered a very well packed padded envelope -- and after peeling back the 10 layers of bubble wrap it was indeed my iPod Touch in basically the same condition I last saw it half a year ago... So to however many UA folks it passed through in that time -- thanks for looking after it

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Similar to UA flights preceded by HA flights. HA can check bags through to UA, but can't issue BPs. Once checked in w/ HA though, UA BPs show up in app.
If the carriers support interline checkin and sends an EIFACT/Teletype message to UA this should be automatic for pretty much any airline with a few exceptions I'm aware of (a) if there's a stopover/break in journey, and (b) if the second airline has restricted advance checkin for some reason (e.g. during the height of COVID this was pretty typical for many international destinations as documentation needed to be manually verified before UA would accept the passenger). A little odd that HA can't print UA BPs but successfully signals checkin to UA seems a bit of a half implementation but...