FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Curve Card (UK) - Paying credit card bill?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:38 pm
jmcreary

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
Brief history, when Curve started offering debit cards to all and sundry, it opened up the floodgates for flagrant abuse, which was allowed to continue for a few years. Some people were doing up to £3.2m a year of cash recycling through Curve.

Eventually the increasing volumes of this activity wound up the rewards card issuers who took various steps to cause inconvenience to Curve’s customers. And had wider implications as there was a pan-industry crackdown on financial transactions being treated as purchases rather than cash advances. Curve have been forced to rein in this activity and are now hot on stopping irregular transactions.

So long as your fronted spend is consistent with your stated income then you’ll be fine. But if you’re tempted to max out the £10k limit every month while earning less than that they will intervene. Just bear in mind that the merchant category used by (most) credit card issuers for payments earns no rewards on most credit cards these days.
Thanks so much for the reply and the background - I hadn't realised that was how it worked. I guess my follow on is, even if it's technically possible, is it still allowed and/or legal? Could it be classed as fraud or money laundering and could you get into trouble for it?