Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Curve Card (UK) - Paying credit card bill?

Curve Card (UK) - Paying credit card bill?

Old Nov 22, 22, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Question Curve Card (UK) - Paying credit card bill?

Hello all,

New to this site and hoping to learn a lot from you!

I was hoping for a bit of help with my Curve Metal Card (UK) which has an underlying credit card behind it so that I can get points on debit card spend and 0% spending abroad. I'm really confused with the terms and conditions of Curve in the sense that they say that they offer Curve Fronted (up to 10k per month) for Curve Metal subscribers for free but also that they allow you to pay other financial institutions with their debit card so you can get points with an underlying credit card. However, in their terms and conditions it says that cash recycling and use such as this is forbidden. On another part of the website they said that you should comply with your credit card issuers terms and conditions if you do this. I have looked at both the Amex and Barclaycard terms and conditions and cannot see anything that says paying off a credit card bill with another credit card is not allowed. Obviously this depends on whether they actually process the transaction.

I can't seem to find a straight answer but I just wondered if anyone knows if using Curve to pay a credit card bill with an underlying credit card is allowed or against any terms and conditions? Is it classed as fraud for earning points/cashback twice on technically the same spend? Has anyone been in trouble for it in the past?

Thanks in advance :-)
Old Nov 23, 22, 6:49 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Brief history, when Curve started offering debit cards to all and sundry, it opened up the floodgates for flagrant abuse, which was allowed to continue for a few years. Some people were doing up to 3.2m a year of cash recycling through Curve.

Eventually the increasing volumes of this activity wound up the rewards card issuers who took various steps to cause inconvenience to Curves customers. And had wider implications as there was a pan-industry crackdown on financial transactions being treated as purchases rather than cash advances. Curve have been forced to rein in this activity and are now hot on stopping irregular transactions.

So long as your fronted spend is consistent with your stated income then youll be fine. But if youre tempted to max out the 10k limit every month while earning less than that they will intervene. Just bear in mind that the merchant category used by (most) credit card issuers for payments earns no rewards on most credit cards these days.
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite View Post
Brief history, when Curve started offering debit cards to all and sundry, it opened up the floodgates for flagrant abuse, which was allowed to continue for a few years. Some people were doing up to 3.2m a year of cash recycling through Curve.

Eventually the increasing volumes of this activity wound up the rewards card issuers who took various steps to cause inconvenience to Curves customers. And had wider implications as there was a pan-industry crackdown on financial transactions being treated as purchases rather than cash advances. Curve have been forced to rein in this activity and are now hot on stopping irregular transactions.

So long as your fronted spend is consistent with your stated income then youll be fine. But if youre tempted to max out the 10k limit every month while earning less than that they will intervene. Just bear in mind that the merchant category used by (most) credit card issuers for payments earns no rewards on most credit cards these days.
Thanks so much for the reply and the background - I hadn't realised that was how it worked. I guess my follow on is, even if it's technically possible, is it still allowed and/or legal? Could it be classed as fraud or money laundering and could you get into trouble for it?
Old Nov 25, 22, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmcreary View Post
Thanks so much for the reply and the background - I hadn't realised that was how it worked. I guess my follow on is, even if it's technically possible, is it still allowed and/or legal? Could it be classed as fraud or money laundering and could you get into trouble for it?
It's perfectly legal in the "go to jail" sense.

It's completely against T&Cs so you could find your bank accounts, credit cards, etc. shut down. With the associated hassle of unfreezing your .

Just use your Curve metal / fronted for its stated purpose, which is to pay for things at merchants, etc. that only accept debit cards. (Inland Revenue, utility providers, etc.) Be very watchful of your credit card issuer treating your transaction as a cash advance instead of a purchase.

Search this Thread