FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Icelandair Saga Class: NYC to Europe from $889
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:58 am
El Cochinito

Last month I took a short vacation SEA-KEF-DUB and return using Icelandair Saga class. 4 nights DUB and 3 nights KEF. Some observations:
- Premium check-in at SEA. No lounge invitation given by contracted check-in staff, but Saga passengers can use the Seattle premium lounge in the remote satellite terminal from where the flight leaves.
- Outbound equipment was on a 757 and booked full. Yes, seating will remind you of domestic FC. I enjoyed my steak dinner and tried some gins from their gin library before catching a few hours of sleep before an early a.m. arrival at KEF. We were assigned an actual gate instead of a remote stand.
- I had about a 90-minute wait before my onward to Dublin. Passengers connecting to Europe - except UK and Ireland - clear immigration at KEF. I used the time to visit an ATM, make some calls and use the immaculately clean restroom facilities.
- General queue for boarding which turned out to be a bus to a remote stand. Couldn't help but wonder what this must be like in the dead of winter to trek from the bus up the steps to the aircraft.
- Just a 2 hour flight to DUB on another 757. Saga was about a third full. Breakfast was served.
- Landed in rain at DUB and parked at the most remote gate out in the hinterlands at T2. A long hike to Irish immigration with only a few moving sidewalks available. Virtually no line at immigration for foreign passports (USA) and after answering a few questions about my trip I was stamped into Ireland. Made my way to baggage claim where it was a good 90 minutes before bags from our flight were delivered. My Saga tagged bag was among the first out though.
- Departing DUB: There is not a whole lot landside in the terminal including seats to wait for check-in to open. An airport volunteer suggested I visit the upstairs food court which had plenty of open seating. At check-in, which opened 2-1/2 hours before departure, there was no separate line for Saga passengers. It was about a 30 minute wait in the regular line. The contracted agent provided directions to the airside lounge and said I could use priority screening which I took advantage of.
- Lunch was served on our flight; Saga again was about a third full. On arrival at KEF we were parked at a remote gate and bussed in to the terminal. No line at immigration then a long hike to baggage claim and customs (follow the "Exit to Iceland" signs). KEF is a good 45 minute drive time from downtown Reykjavik; my hotel arranged a pickup for me and my driver was waiting as I exited customs.
- KEF back to SEA: I took the air bus service from downtown back to the airport which was fine. Of course Icelandair has separate Saga check-in at their home airport. Once past the security questions agent, I was quickly checked-in and invited to use the Saga premium lounge airside. Premium security line was available which went quick. It is a long walk from security out to the Saga lounge (and on the outbound immigration then the departure gates). I found the Saga lounge, had something to eat and took a short nap.
- The flight to SEA was on their 767 and was completely full. Once again at KEF we were at a remote gate. Good to see they are expanding that airport because it is really crowded during rush hour. I was having issues walking up stairs that day so they trucked me out to the plane with the wheelchair users and we were boarded through door 1R similar to a catering truck (but set up for passengers). I watched a movie or two, ate a decent dinner, then tried to get some sleep before our late afternoon arrival into Seattle.
- The new port-of-entry facility at Seattle airport is quite impressive but a very long walk from the arrival gate. I thought Dublin airport was a hike but I think Seattle was even further. SEA is a bit different than most as you get your luggage before clearing immigration. Zero wait at Global Entry which was manned by an officer who asked a couple of questions then welcomed me back to the USA.