Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Icelandair Saga Class: NYC to Europe from $889

Old Nov 22, 22, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Another nice sale with Icelandair Saga Class (sold as Business Class but really a Premium Economy product) from New York to points across Europe. These book into A class which earns 125% with Alaska as RDM and EQMs. or 8814 miles.

New York to London 9494 Alaska RDMs/EQMs

New York to Amsterdam 9658 Alaska RDMs/EQMs

New York to Paris 9992 Alaska RDMs/EQMs

New York to Dublin 8814 Alaska RDMs/EQMs

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page. Source: My site PremiumCabin.Deals
Bleuprince16 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 22, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Can you do a stopover in KEF? Price seems to double
Old Nov 22, 22, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tobikosan View Post
Can you do a stopover in KEF? Price seems to double
CDG and LHR have stopovers (~25 hours) so in theory yes...
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 22, 22, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Booked this from DEN to ZRH with a 7 night stopover on the return for $1100.
jfkeze, tobikosan and JetSetDave like this.
Old Nov 22, 22, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Curious. Other than mileage earning and free stopover in Kef, would there be benefits from booking this vs. Nordic Premium Economy seeing as the seats and food may arguably be the same? For instance, booking for 2/14-2/21 with a carry-on only, Ewr-Kef-Lhr prices at $890 while Jfk-Lgw goes for $680. Apologies if Im missing glaring details on the value-add of one vs. the other.
Old Nov 22, 22, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IncaTrails View Post
Curious. Other than mileage earning and free stopover in Kef, would there be benefits from booking this vs. Nordic Premium Economy seeing as the seats and food may arguably be the same? For instance, booking for 2/14-2/21 with a carry-on only, Ewr-Kef-Lhr prices at $890 while Jfk-Lgw goes for $680. Apologies if Im missing glaring details on the value-add of one vs. the other.
Norse Premium Light includes just a carry-on versus checked luggage. But it seems the major difference is service, each meal includes one house beer, wine or non-alcoholic drink. So if you think you might have more than a beverage per flight that's another difference. Also it seems seat selection is paid and I think FI is still free?
Old Nov 22, 22, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not a bad price but remember this is is prem eco at best
Old Nov 22, 22, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
the stopover is the big benefit on FI fares. and the price is usually about half of the legacy carriers albeit for a much inferior hard product, but breaking up the flight even from the west coast in KEF makes it infinitely more tolerable.
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Probably working from most US cities here are two examples from Seattle and Boston to Amsterdam...

Boston to Amsterdam 9208 Alaska RDMs/EQMs

Seattle to Amsterdam 12232 Alaska RDMs/EQMs
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Not a bad price but remember this is is prem eco at best
Not sure I have found that many prem economy fares with champagne, three course meals, lounge access, priority screening/ I would put it at one of the better prem economy options
jfkeze, Bleuprince16 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If these seats are identical to US FC seats, they might be wider than the premium economy seats that I've encountered. Does anyone have numbers on them?

Edited: Never mind -- 20.5". I've tried AA and Vietnam Airlines at 19", and one other I can't remember now. That extra 1.5" might be enough for me.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Nov 23, 22 at 6:32 am
Old Nov 23, 22, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Starbux Gold, Nexus
Is there a way to find KEF stopovers without a significant fare increase? Also is a 90 minute connection at KEF sketchy due to possible inclement weather? Looking to depart from SEA. Thanks

Found solution, use the stopover option on IcelandAir website, it will price similar to above poster. Good luck

Last edited by JetSetDave; Nov 23, 22 at 1:00 pm
Old Nov 23, 22, 10:58 am

Last month I took a short vacation SEA-KEF-DUB and return using Icelandair Saga class. 4 nights DUB and 3 nights KEF. Some observations:
- Premium check-in at SEA. No lounge invitation given by contracted check-in staff, but Saga passengers can use the Seattle premium lounge in the remote satellite terminal from where the flight leaves.
- Outbound equipment was on a 757 and booked full. Yes, seating will remind you of domestic FC. I enjoyed my steak dinner and tried some gins from their gin library before catching a few hours of sleep before an early a.m. arrival at KEF. We were assigned an actual gate instead of a remote stand.
- I had about a 90-minute wait before my onward to Dublin. Passengers connecting to Europe - except UK and Ireland - clear immigration at KEF. I used the time to visit an ATM, make some calls and use the immaculately clean restroom facilities.
- General queue for boarding which turned out to be a bus to a remote stand. Couldn't help but wonder what this must be like in the dead of winter to trek from the bus up the steps to the aircraft.
- Just a 2 hour flight to DUB on another 757. Saga was about a third full. Breakfast was served.
- Landed in rain at DUB and parked at the most remote gate out in the hinterlands at T2. A long hike to Irish immigration with only a few moving sidewalks available. Virtually no line at immigration for foreign passports (USA) and after answering a few questions about my trip I was stamped into Ireland. Made my way to baggage claim where it was a good 90 minutes before bags from our flight were delivered. My Saga tagged bag was among the first out though.
- Departing DUB: There is not a whole lot landside in the terminal including seats to wait for check-in to open. An airport volunteer suggested I visit the upstairs food court which had plenty of open seating. At check-in, which opened 2-1/2 hours before departure, there was no separate line for Saga passengers. It was about a 30 minute wait in the regular line. The contracted agent provided directions to the airside lounge and said I could use priority screening which I took advantage of.
- Lunch was served on our flight; Saga again was about a third full. On arrival at KEF we were parked at a remote gate and bussed in to the terminal. No line at immigration then a long hike to baggage claim and customs (follow the "Exit to Iceland" signs). KEF is a good 45 minute drive time from downtown Reykjavik; my hotel arranged a pickup for me and my driver was waiting as I exited customs.
- KEF back to SEA: I took the air bus service from downtown back to the airport which was fine. Of course Icelandair has separate Saga check-in at their home airport. Once past the security questions agent, I was quickly checked-in and invited to use the Saga premium lounge airside. Premium security line was available which went quick. It is a long walk from security out to the Saga lounge (and on the outbound immigration then the departure gates). I found the Saga lounge, had something to eat and took a short nap.
- The flight to SEA was on their 767 and was completely full. Once again at KEF we were at a remote gate. Good to see they are expanding that airport because it is really crowded during rush hour. I was having issues walking up stairs that day so they trucked me out to the plane with the wheelchair users and we were boarded through door 1R similar to a catering truck (but set up for passengers). I watched a movie or two, ate a decent dinner, then tried to get some sleep before our late afternoon arrival into Seattle.
- The new port-of-entry facility at Seattle airport is quite impressive but a very long walk from the arrival gate. I thought Dublin airport was a hike but I think Seattle was even further. SEA is a bit different than most as you get your luggage before clearing immigration. Zero wait at Global Entry which was manned by an officer who asked a couple of questions then welcomed me back to the USA.
jfkeze, JetSetDave and YZF_Flyer like this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El Cochinito View Post
...No lounge invitation given by contracted check-in staff, but Saga passengers can use the Seattle premium lounge in the remote satellite terminal from where the flight leaves...
Does anyone know of any other US airports where there is an available departure lounge?
Old Nov 25, 22, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ended up getting a ticket from MSP to FRA in mid-April with a 2-night stopover in Reykjavik on the outbound for $1,204.18. 15 days in Europe to ride the trains.
RSTflyer likes this.

Search this Thread