FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vienna, Bavaria and a new country
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:20 am
Askartus

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Originally Posted by offerendum

I see Andi´s hand and a "Blunzn Brot" (blood sausage bread, traditional bread from Vienna iirc) - two things that are guranteed to make me happy.

Do you remember the first breads after he was finished explaining the last ones? We mostly go like "this and that please" ...

Originally Posted by offerendum
I was really thrilled with the food, from me it was at 3 star level. I can only recommend everyone to try the restaurant once.
I can only second that: The Steiereck is relaxing yet very sophisticated when it comes to the dishes and on par with most 3 star restaurants imo.

The only miss in your menu that I can see: You did not get the famous char churred in beeswax. One of my favourite dishes in the world, prepared at the table during the previous course.
Here are three pictures from our visit in Feburary 2022:

At the end of the previous course, the char is covered with 84 °C warm beeswax at your table and you can watch it change.

After resting for exact 8 minutes, the wax cured the char nicely with a strong aroma of honey, grass and flowers.

And then it goes back into the kitchen, is broken out of the wax and served with yellow turnip, "caviar pollen", char caviar rolled in a powder of beet marc, quince vinegar, salt and sugar. and a creme covered by mat made from beeswax.

We have the recipe, so we technically know what is in this dish and how it is prepared. Not that we will ever be able to cook this level of perfection! ;-)
(The whole dinner can be re-read in our german blog at travellingdevil.de)