FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus IT Upgrade - 15-16 Oct 2022 -- Multi issues / broken functionality
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:33 pm
random.parts

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Such negativity on upgrades - UA is continually upgrading the mobile app and, in my opinion, keep enhancing what is already a best in class app.
I agree the app is continually great, but that is comparing apples and oysters.

If they feel taking a system offline is needed for migration thats a lot more to worry about than them pushing non-systems-critical client (app) code through an automated build pipeline.

Its like a restaurant. Apps, web browsers are the front of the house and can add or remove tables & menus without disruption. You can still get your food and drinks from the bar or takeaway. But when you need to add or change the kitchen equipment in back (and dont have space to just build a new section for it) no one is getting food that relies on that equipment.

It should go well, but there is still a much greater chance of blowing the place up when changing out the vital pieces needed to make the food than there is in changing the menus or decor out. I think that’s what the concern is. I dunno what they are changing but if migrating from a legacy system on United’s scale that they feel needs downtime, so many things can go wrong - especially since the change may still have to interact with other legacy systems - good luck to them though.