FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is United status worth it?
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:02 pm
FrequentFlyerGlobal

Programs: Qantas Platinum One Status, Qantas Gold Status Lifetime
Originally Posted by jsloan
13 RT P fares will definitely be enough to qualify you for 1K and make Global Services a real possibility, assuming you’re taking the logical flight routes (i.e., all legs operated by UA).

The question remains, though — what benefits would you want to get? Domestic economy class award tickets for yourself? Likely. Lounge access on domestic itineraries? Only if you reach GS and they keep that perk in place — they added it during COVID. Upgrades on domestic flights? Very route-dependent. Economy Plus seating? Yes.
The main reason why I am looking for some status is that my Air New Zealand Airpoints Gold Status expires in 2 months, again my leisure trips in both the US and Europe are at least for me is very star alliance heavy, and the gold status does really help.
On the MEL-LAX/SFO routes, I can see that Polaris is not full except for December/January which can lead me to believe that I could maybe score an upgrade on these sectors, in addition to award availability.
And the end of the day, I could go for Qantas Platinum One and earn basically nothing to myself as I have nearly completed my QFF journey. Or I can kickstart another airline to achieve some status.