Is United status worth it?

Old Oct 9, 22, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum Status, Qantas Silver Status Lifetime, Air New Zealand Airpoints Gold
Is United status worth it?

G'day all,

Some backroom information is that I am based in Melbourne, Australia and I am going to be scheduled for about 13 runs next year to New York for work. I am wondering will the value of United status be worth enough in general and if possible, would they take on a Global Services member from Australia as I have had issues trying to obtain AAdvantage CK about 7 years ago due to my location. I am uncertain if I'd be still running on this schedule though in the years to come.

Regards
Old Oct 9, 22, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerGlobal View Post
G'day all,

Some backroom information is that I am based in Melbourne, Australia and I am going to be scheduled for about 13 runs next year to New York for work. I am wondering will the value of United status be worth enough in general and if possible, would they take on a Global Services member from Australia as I have had issues trying to obtain AAdvantage CK about 7 years ago due to my location. I am uncertain if I'd be still running on this schedule though in the years to come.

Regards
What do you want to get out of United status? What class of service would you be flying?

Im pretty sure UA has plenty of international Global Services members; I woudlnt expect that to be a problem, although I dont know for sure.
Old Oct 9, 22, 8:39 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
No. This answer needs to be at least 5 characters so I added this sentence; otherwise it would only be 3.
Old Oct 9, 22, 8:41 pm

Worth it if you fly United domestically often for the upgrades and priority boarding (assume corporate pay for economy only). For international trips, most companies would already pay for J so there's really no benefits there.

If not, stick with your home airlines.
Old Oct 9, 22, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum Status, Qantas Silver Status Lifetime, Air New Zealand Airpoints Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
What do you want to get out of United status? What class of service would you be flying?

Im pretty sure UA has plenty of international Global Services members; I woudlnt expect that to be a problem, although I dont know for sure.
I'd like to get some status out of United, since on leisure when I do go to the states - I am generally always flying with United as I have had some shocking experiences with AA and DL.
I would be flying Polaris P for these legs.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 9, 22, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like to get some status out of United, since on leisure when I do go to the states - I am generally always flying with United as I have had some shocking experiences with AA and DL.
I would be flying Polaris P for these legs.
13 RT P fares will definitely be enough to qualify you for 1K and make Global Services a real possibility, assuming youre taking the logical flight routes (i.e., all legs operated by UA).

The question remains, though what benefits would you want to get? Domestic economy class award tickets for yourself? Likely. Lounge access on domestic itineraries? Only if you reach GS and they keep that perk in place they added it during COVID. Upgrades on domestic flights? Very route-dependent. Economy Plus seating? Yes.
Old Oct 9, 22, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

13 RT P fares will definitely be enough to qualify you for 1K and make Global Services a real possibility, assuming youre taking the logical flight routes (i.e., all legs operated by UA).

The question remains, though what benefits would you want to get? Domestic economy class award tickets for yourself? Likely. Lounge access on domestic itineraries? Only if you reach GS and they keep that perk in place they added it during COVID. Upgrades on domestic flights? Very route-dependent. Economy Plus seating? Yes.
The main reason why I am looking for some status is that my Air New Zealand Airpoints Gold Status expires in 2 months, again my leisure trips in both the US and Europe are at least for me is very star alliance heavy, and the gold status does really help.
On the MEL-LAX/SFO routes, I can see that Polaris is not full except for December/January which can lead me to believe that I could maybe score an upgrade on these sectors, in addition to award availability.
And the end of the day, I could go for Qantas Platinum One and earn basically nothing to myself as I have nearly completed my QFF journey. Or I can kickstart another airline to achieve some status.
Old Oct 9, 22, 9:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
13 RT P fares will definitely be enough to qualify you for 1K and make Global Services a real possibility, assuming you’re taking the logical flight routes (i.e., all legs operated by UA).

The question remains, though — what benefits would you want to get? Domestic economy class award tickets for yourself? Likely. Lounge access on domestic itineraries? Only if you reach GS and they keep that perk in place — they added it during COVID. Upgrades on domestic flights? Very route-dependent. Economy Plus seating? Yes.

SYD-USA biz class fares are quite expensive.

I see $9K for Z fare SYD-LAX-EWR RT. P fare is hard to find.

If P fare is $7K, then 13 RT would definitely make GS.

Even 7-8 RT would make GS since he is not from SFO or EWR.
jsloan and aquanine like this.
Old Oct 9, 22, 9:16 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The Virgin relationship with UA may provide better benefits if you do run of the mill Aus domestic flying, too. So VA status might be an option, especially if they match your QF status. There is talk this side of the Pacific of VA being the next Star entry.
Old Oct 9, 22, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main reason why I am looking for some status is that my Air New Zealand Airpoints Gold Status expires in 2 months, again my leisure trips in both the US and Europe are at least for me is very star alliance heavy, and the gold status does really help.
On the MEL-LAX/SFO routes, I can see that Polaris is not full except for December/January which can lead me to believe that I could maybe score an upgrade on these sectors, in addition to award availability.
And the end of the day, I could go for Qantas Platinum One and earn basically nothing to myself as I have nearly completed my QFF journey. Or I can kickstart another airline to achieve some status.
Oh, so you meant you fly back to the US for leisure purposes rather than attaching a leisure trip to your business trips?

It can be difficult to find confirmable TPAC upgrade inventory. If you dont mind waitlisting, you have more options, but you can easily end up in the seat you paid for. If youre flying to Europe via the US, UA does allow you to use a single award to upgrade the entire journey so MEL-SFO-LHR, for example.

Upgrade availability as a GS would be more plentiful than as a 1K.

It sounds to me like UA status would be meaningfully beneficial for you, yes. It wont take you long to build status flying monthly business class flights to the States. (UAs program is designed to reward exactly the sorf of travel youre describing).
Old Oct 9, 22, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Some backroom information is that I am based in Melbourne, Australia and I am going to be scheduled for about 13 runs next year to New York for work. I am wondering will the value of United status be worth enough in general ....
What are the alternatives? Picking UA will potentially forgo an alternative? If the alternatives are not attractive and you see more value in UA, that seems to point to answer. If another alternative provides more value, then that points to a different answer.

"Worth it" is a individual decision and the answers will vary for each individual. List the alternatives, include going freelance, and determine the one that works best for you.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 22 at 9:58 pm
Old Oct 9, 22, 9:54 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
13 paid J trips to New York will get you GS. How valuable that will be to you in Australia is questionable though.
benewr likes this.
Old Oct 9, 22, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
The Virgin relationship with UA may provide better benefits if you do run of the mill Aus domestic flying, too. So VA status might be an option, especially if they match your QF status. There is talk this side of the Pacific of VA being the next Star entry.
I do occasionally fly VA (generally if there is no J on selected QF routes) I have been offered a status match with VA numerous times as I have my current QF details linked to my current VA account. I am waiting for the day when VA joins Star Alliance and I am going to accept that offer in seconds.
CHCflyer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 22, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by commaspace View Post
For international trips, most companies would already pay for J.
Maybe if you're an executive, but for most industries, I would say it's a relatively small group for non-executives - definitely not "most".
Old Oct 9, 22, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
SYD-USA biz class fares are quite expensive.
I see $9K for Z fare SYD-LAX-EWR RT. P fare is hard to find.
If P fare is $7K, then 13 RT would definitely make GS.
Even 7-8 RT would make GS since he is not from SFO or EWR.
Air NZ have a non stop AKL-JFK flight now and QF starting SYD-AKL-JFK in Dec 2022. And AA AKL-DFW.
Even the long way via the middle east (EK, QR, EY) may have competitive prices to NYC.
So will be more price pressure for flights to east coast USA.

If an international flight MEL-USA-NYC does not work out, from MEL a flight to AKL and I to I air side transfer far more preferable than SYD D to I,
Getting more routes AU/NZ to USA other than just to the west coast of USA.

But as above. what would UA GS give compared to top status on other airlines, if flying long haul in paid J?
All this assumes the OP has the choice of airline and no corporate directive/preference on airline and/or route.

Search this Thread