FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Air Lines Pilot Strike Discussion Thread
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:51 pm
readywhenyouare
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog
Hi,
I want to begin by saying that I agree that you should be entitled to your opinion. I'm personally ambivalent to labor unions... meaning, I wish they didn't exist and I wish they didn't take some of the tactics they take, but at the same time I understand why they exist, especially in a historical context.
Thank you. I appreciate hearing ofher opinions and would have thought others would as well. I view unions as nothing more than legalized extortion. They are essentially free to kill a business of any size. That is especially harmful to smaller firms that may have a legacy of years of struggling being built up by the owners. Margins can be razor thin for smaller companies and they may truly not be able to afford salary increases. Some owners have to even forego their own salaries in tight years.

Historically, unions were operated by the mafia and their behavior relfects that. It's as if arson were legal and your neighbor threatens to burn your house down unless you pay him every month. There's nothing stopping these essential employees from making wildly excessive demands. If the company doesn't have that kind of money and refuses then they'll just see to it that the entire company goes down.