FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Air Lines Pilot Strike Discussion Thread
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:55 am
jetsfan92588

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The airline industry is cyclical. For me, I'd rather have a steady and predictable salary throughout my career than these peaks and valleys. As it is now, you can expect to be paid like royalty during the good times and in the bad times you'll be lucky to not be furloughed for years.

I'm just using these numbers as an example. Maybe you make $400,000/year for six years but then get furloughed with no income for three years in a recession. I'd rather have a $200,000 steady income and not need such drastic hits during low times. And that would keep more pilots from being furloughed as well.
In all likelihood, what would happen if they decided to take the 200k steady income is that they'd get 200k during the good times, and still get furloughed during the bad times.

But it sounds like your opinion is that Delta, as a private business, should be able to do whatever they want to [increase shareholder value] and they have no other duty or obligation to anyone, including their employees or the flying public. But employees should not be able to do whatever they want to [increase their own salary] because they have a duty to other employees and to the flying public.