FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Air Lines Pilot Strike Discussion Thread
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:11 pm
readywhenyouare
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Not entirely sure where you're getting that 88.4% number from. Statistics (albeit probably not accurately counted) that I've seen seem to suggest a significant percentage (way more than 12%) of the people who are unhappy in their job just stay there.

Right, pilots know what they're getting into. Pilots also know, as part of becoming a pilot, they are signing up with a union, so that union can (theoretically) advocate for their interests, and they have pretty good negotiating power (hence, why they're willing to take the job). They also know that contracts generally get renegotiated every x years, and that's their opportunity to renegotiate.

I actually don't have an opinion here. I just don't understand your opinion. If all the pilots quit, which is what you seem to be saying should be their only recourse, how does that cause more or less disruption to millions of people?
The latest stats show that only 11.6% of the US population is unionzed. That's why I said 88.4% will just leave their job of they are that unhappy with it. Union membership has been on a steady decline. One could argue its members priced themselves out of the labor market. Oh, and not all airline pilots are in a union.