FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Air Lines Pilot Strike Discussion Thread
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:44 pm
jetsfan92588

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Resigning and seeking better employment is exactly what 88.4% of the US population does if they are unhappy with their job. Union behavior is like constantly going back to a restaurant you hate and demanding they improve the quality of their food/service and at a better price too. The vast majority of the population would simply take their money elsewhere.

And pilots and flight attendants know what they are signing up for when they apply at the airlines. Missing holidays, life events, etc is just part of the job but they sure like to complain about it. If you want a family life then flying is definitely a career you should avoid. Don't blame the airline for missing your child's piano recital. You're the one who prioritized flying over family.

Dive welders, loggers, etc make excellent money as well. That doesn't mean I want the job. But I'm not prohibited from crying foul when they threaten to disrupt life for millions of people. You have your opinion and I have mine.
Not entirely sure where you're getting that 88.4% number from. Statistics (albeit probably not accurately counted) that I've seen seem to suggest a significant percentage (way more than 12%) of the people who are unhappy in their job just stay there.

Right, pilots know what they're getting into. Pilots also know, as part of becoming a pilot, they are signing up with a union, so that union can (theoretically) advocate for their interests, and they have pretty good negotiating power (hence, why they're willing to take the job). They also know that contracts generally get renegotiated every x years, and that's their opportunity to renegotiate.

I actually don't have an opinion here. I just don't understand your opinion. If all the pilots quit, which is what you seem to be saying should be their only recourse, how does that cause more or less disruption to millions of people?