FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:57 pm
cmhua777

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
What benefits are you still getting as a UAGS that makes it worth putting up with UA service over SQ or BR?
I agree that GS has been devalued. For me, however, I still value being able to get Saver awards out of T class and upgrade them with PPs when traveling on vacation. The one-segment companion upgrade is super frustrating, but remains better than nothing. And while I don’t fly domestic very often, when I do I usually get upgraded.

SQ, BR and others offer service that is head-and-shoulders above UA. Ferragamo amenity kits, top-shelf liquors, edible multi-course meals are all things I won’t get on UA. I had two SQ flights last week, actually, and you can’t help but notice a difference from UA. Like I said, if I didn’t get the perks above I would move 100% of my travel to other airlines. So GS, for what it is worth, is the only thing allowing UA to get my business.

Others have said GS costs UA a lot to operate. I am not so sure. There really isn’t such a thing as GS-dedicated staff anymore. These agents wear many hats, which keeps productivity high. I suppose the few Lobbies and LHR lounge add operational cost, but these items are few and far between. Yes, allowing us to spend fewer miles or use upgrades on awards has the potential to cost them foregone revenue, but I also suspect inventory management protects them from real losses. Net, if there are others like me who stay only because GS - and I am sure there are - then the cost to operate the system is likely a lot less than the money they would otherwise lose.

Last edited by cmhua777; Sep 28, 2022 at 8:30 pm