FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:21 am
johan rebel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even going back into the days of Northwest Airlines, I’ve had it arranged for NW/KL to deliver mishandled baggage to GOI, HYD, BLR, IXJ, SXR and LEH.
Wow! KLM appears to have an incredible propensity to lose your bags (and those of your numerous travel party members as well, apparently). Not only just about every time on your countless flights to CPH, but to other places as well. How can somebody be that unlucky?

Now what happened way back in the days of NW/KL doesn't really have any bearing on the current risk of losing your bags, nor of your chances of being reunited with them. There may well be more flights these days, but there are also far more passengers, far more bags, but far too few baggage handlers at Schiphol. Anybody who has actually been there recently can attest to the piles of bags stacked up or lying around all over the place.

KL has an obligation to deliver to final destination, that's for sure, but that's no guarantee it will actually happen. If the bags do not arrive in DEL at all, or only much later, the whole point becomes moot.

I've never flown KLM to DEL, and I'm an HBO guy anyway, but I figure that these days the only sensible course of action is to avoid checking bags if at all possible. Peace of mind is probably the greatest benefit.

Johan