FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards) [read wiki BEFORE asking question]
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:46 am
sha8192
Suspended

Eup downgraded after boarding

On AC847 today 2 pax in O missed check-ins so me and P2 snagged the eup space into O.

As we sat on the plane and clock ticked, an AC (or LH?) staff came onboard and asked to speak with P2 privately (he had spoken in private to another pax next to us, who snagged the 3rd O space).

It turned out that they wanted to downgrade P2 back to Y, quoting system issue where the upgrades were given by mistake. I immediately pointed out that the two pax didn’t make it because they missed checkin deadline, but the staff said they were at the gate and checked in.

Not in the mood to argue and feel sympathy for the pax who missed the deadline, I said I’m fine with moving back to Y, but our seats are no longer available, if you can arrange an entire row for us, we would be good.

Staff went around to arrange the changes, while I quickly hopped on my computer to see my personal logs of the eup list. Turned out two pax were added to the standby list at T-50 (check in closes at T-60 and eup/standby auto-clears at T-55).

When the staff came back with three new boarding passes (I guess those are the new seats for the 3 unfortunate pax in Y who had to make way for us), I gently pointed out that those two O passengers missed their checkin window by 10 minutes and that’s why we snagged the O seats, nothing was wrong with the system. He acknowledged and said be would look into it.

Anyway, ended up with a row in Y for me and P2, not much worse than two seats in middle O row. I wouldn’t complain too much except for the food.

After all is sorted out, received email/sms about flight delay for an hour due to “Delay under investigation”😜 I guess I’m an insider now and I know why it was delayed.

Wonder how much those two pax in O paid or what status they hold (maybe LH HON circle? Since the LH employee came onboard to arrange everything, but he seems to know AC rules well, as he knows what eups are).

Feel sorry for the Y folks that have been moved around (possibly to middle seats) to accommodate us.

Last edited by sha8192; Sep 20, 2022 at 7:28 pm Reason: Correct terms edit2: typo