FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - iPhone 14 no simcard slot for US
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:59 am
draver

I pick up my iPhone 14 Pro Max tomorrow. I've been using esims since Dec. 2018 when T-Mobile first allowed them on my ONE plan. During this span I have gotten pretty used to them and they have generally been better overall than sim cards for my needs.

I have several free, unlimited lines from T-Mobile and those are second esims in our phones for data, which preserves the $10 per line discount of the KickBack feature on our main voice lines. I used to use Airalo for travel data, but my plan now gets the free, 5Gb high speed data roaming in 215 countries, so paid data roaming is a thing of the past. I also have a spare iPhone 8 that I picked up for $100 and it can double as a hotspot or source to easily import sim card lines to esim. Sim cards can be converted to esim pretty easily at least 3 ways on your account. You can use a second phone or use your on line Account Manager, at least on T-Mobile. Your carrier support should also be able to make the swap for you. They can also be transferred back to the sim card.

One thing that should change soon is many more US & foreign MVNO carriers should switch to esim availability. For instance, Xfinity resells Verizon service, but does not have esims for their plans. I have a plan with 2 lines for our emergency roaming, and the fact that they gave me a $400 gift card to open the account. Without opening esim service soon I will cancel both lines, and they probably know they need to get on board quickly with esims.

Edited to add: Apparently Xfinity has updated their system to esim capability in the past few days. I will try and convert our 2 lines to esim and post my results and procedure here.

Edit 2: Exfinity App support text tried to switch sim card to esim, but finally transferred my request to Tech Support I assume. After about 10 minutes I got a notification that it was being enabled and it appeared on my phone so it can be done. On the App itsself, it claims my device is not supported on their system. Odd, since I have been using it with the sim card for about 7 months now.

Last edited by draver; Sep 16, 2022 at 7:49 am