FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA cancels “duplicate” reservation -- due to another passenger with same name / info
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:45 am
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by willliamjia
oh, my god, united will close my account just because i am not sure about schedule and book two airtickets which i will only take one.

you scare me. It is ridiculous…

united do everything to get my business during past 15 years.
If your chronically doing this and causing them to lose money by holding inventory, they absolutely would take action to potentially close an account. There would probably be multiple warnings in advance, but yes holding two tickets is a prohibited practice. Most situations they resolve by just letting the automation cancel the duplicates out and don't need to escalate further. If people are taking methods to avoid their checks/systems designed to prevent this practice, then I would expect them to begin taking actions to escalate, in line with their contract of carriage.

From the contract of carriage
Rule 5
In addition to exercising any of its remedies in Rule 6 K) below, UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, travel certificates, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight

Rule 6k
UA’s Remedies for Violation(s) of Rules - Where a Ticket is booked, held, purchased and/or used in violation of the law, these rules or any fare rule (including Hidden Cities Ticketing, Point Beyond Ticketing, Throwaway Ticketing, or Back-to-Back Ticketing), UA, without notice to the passenger, has the right in its sole discretion to take all actions permitted by law, including but not limited to, the following:
  1. Invalidate the Ticket(s);
  2. Cancel any remaining portion of the Passenger’s itinerary;
  3. Confiscate any unused Flight Coupons until the amount reflected in 5) below is collected;
  4. Permanently ban or refuse to board the Passenger and to carry the Passenger’s baggage, unless the difference between the fare paid and the fare for transportation used is collected prior to boarding;
  5. Assess the Passenger for the actual value of the Ticket which shall be the difference between the lowest fare applicable to the Passenger’s actual itinerary and the fare actually paid;
  6. Delete miles in the Passenger’s frequent flyer account (UA’s MileagePlus Program), revoke the Passenger’s Elite status, if any, in the MileagePlus Program, terminate the Passenger’s participation in the MileagePlus Program, terminate any other air transportation agreement between UA and the Passenger, or take any other action permitted by the MileagePlus Program Rules in UA’s “MileagePlus Rules;
  7. Charge a delivery fee and penalty, set at United’s discretion, to send Checked Baggage to the Passenger; and
  8. Take legal action with respect to the Passenger.