FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA<->AA Reciprocal Upgrades
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:28 pm
Chiller3333

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I totally realise/accept that i'll come across as very selfish here, but as a GGL with some GUFs, I can't say I am too happy with the news. I mostly see it as now needing to compete with countless AA members to be able to upgrade on BA on transatlantic (I don't care that the AA forum keeps saying that getting status on AA is now incredibly difficult, I still have the impression that AA distributes status like peanuts), and with a lot more people to be able to upgrade on AA flights depending on the availability of that incredibly ellusive award space (whilst AA elites can use their instruments for space available upgrades if I am not mistaken) on AA long haul and transcon flights as now all BA elites will get two equivalent of the GUFs that I only start earning at 2,500 TPs.

Again, I appreciate that this is excellent news for many people, and good for them, but to be entirely candid, and from my selfish point of view, I am actually fairly convinced that based on my specific situation as described at the start of this post (GGL, multiple GUFs), I will be worse off rather than better off as a result of it.

Incidentally, given the "as of today" reference, if we have all received two AA systemwide upgrades of sort, I really do wonder why none of us have been informed!
According to the OMAAT article the AA SWUs book into award classes, whereas our GUFs go into I and A, with the ability to open up reward space in Business with GGL redemptions.
Yes, it'll hurt a bit, not going to argue with that, but I don't think it'll matter much.
Let's see.