FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Program Update March 2022
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2022, 9:13 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So outside of the US is a different thing altogether, as even platinum status gives you some benefits. In the US, I feel wanting your status honored at a HI or HIX is just asking for disappointment (and I prefer HIX as they are newer and HI are pretty old sometimes). And CP? Generally horribly outdated hotels, which sometimes have a lounge (eg Anchorage).
And for the extended stay they follow the same rules as Marriott. You just cannot be upgraded to a two-bedroom (got told at Staybridge, got told at Residence Inn, all the same. Of course, there aren't corporate rules, but rather rules seemingly every property follows).
I just posted above your post that I got a suite at an HIX in the US recently. And I didn't even ask for it. True you cannot count on suite upgrades with HI's and CP's, but it does happen. True most CP's in the US are old and outdated, but there are a few exceptions. And some get nice renovations like the CP San Pedro, CA. You learn where the good ones are and stick with those.

As for Staybridge or Residence Inn, when I book a room for 3 or 4, I generally get a two bedroom suite. Or sometimes I just book a 2 bedroom it because it isn't a big price difference anyways at those hotels. I did that recently in Durham, NC for only about $30 extra. And it was a really nice Staybridge. In that case, Diamond paid off well because they had run out of water bottles. I asked if I could grab some of the Vitamin Water bottles in the Pantry. The first guy said I had to buy them, but then the manager said because I was Diamond I could grab 4 bottles for free.