FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards) [read wiki BEFORE asking question]
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:23 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tbuff
Eg March 26 (this was last night dont have it jn front of me) I can book two seats ywg to mad in latitude on points and immediately confirm upgrade. However if I try to book cash it says you will be waitlisted. Same flights same amt of seats
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I hadn't seen that situation before, but noticed the same thing on flights from YYZ-LHR. For example, on Feb 24th it's possible to fly YYZ-YUL-LHR on points/latitude and confirm upgrades, but not on a revenue ticket.
I highly doubt that this is an issue of AC making more upgrade space available for points bookings than for cash, because AC has said that if anything, it will be the opposite. I think it's more likely that this is a website issue, i.e. one of:
  • The revenue booking would be upgraded, even though the website doesn't say it
  • Despite the fact the website says it would, the points booking wouldn't be upgraded

This wouldn't be the first time the website has been wrong (one way or the other) in telling someone they would be upgraded.