FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:26 am
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Xaroco
Thank you, much appreciated. If I wasn't as fussed about the miles/accrual, and I just took the shortest mileage route (JFK-LAX-SYD-CGK) would the 'HIP check' (I still don't understand this concept completely, apologies!) be any lower? Would it still come under the RLE08FN2 class fare with the 12078 MPM?

JFK-LAX-SYD-CGK is 13391 miles - 2000 for the LAX discount....?

Thanks!
JFK-LAX-SYG-CGK is fine for MPM as you note: 13,391 flown miles minus 2,000 for the LAX deduction and you are under MPM. This will price normally as long as there is no stopover in SYD (maximum transit time 24h00).

The HIP check comes into play if there is a stopover. If you add a stopover to a mileage (non-routed) fare, the fare component with the embedded stopover will reprice to the highest of itself, the origin-to-stopover fare, or the stopover-to-destination fare. So if you add a stopover to SYD, the price for RLE08MN2 is adjusted to the highest of:

RLE08MN2, JFK to CGK ($1,125)
INXQFVN1, JFK to SYD ($4,461)
and I believe since AA does not publish fares on SYD-CGK, that comparison is dropped