FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:17 pm
Dawgfan6291

Originally Posted by kmersh
I get your point, but I would add that DELTA does not have to use the physical "sad box" they could double cater a plated cold meal, which is more appropriate in First Class. Instead of a boxed meal which just scream cheap.
If DELTA wanted to offer a premium product they could find a way to do so.

I understand the lack of a Flight Kitchen, but the sad boxes are not an acceptable alternative.
maybe they can, maybe they can't. You are getting into needed more staffing resources even for the cold plated meal part.

again, the hub flight kitchens are struggling just as bad and its pretty unlikely Delta could cater all ex ATL flights plus ex ATL and ex XXX double cater flights. Even if they want to (and much to the charging on most on here who think Ed Bastian sits at his condo in Florida thinking of ways he can piss off FFs) Delta wants too. They are well aware of the product short falls (thanks to hopefully every single person on FT getting a sad box complaining to Delta.......you guys do that right? RIGHT?) and are working towards fixing it. It takes time. It takes employees.
Originally Posted by JAXPax
Absolutely with you on this... One of my "COVID gigs" was coordinating and handling international charters/ICE/repatriation flights (like 787s from Vietnam). Even at like a DFW, could not get any traditional kitchen to cater even a one-off flight. I actually ended up making a pretty neat deal there that benefited all around - I got the company that made and catered the food for the various non-AA lounges (like the Club at DFW) to handle. Worked out as they weren't exactly doing full menu in the clubs that were even open. Similar deals in other places. I had a standing order with Jason's Deli in one location for boxes for a couple weekly B767s.

It is manageable... but only to a certain scale. I don't blame Delta for going with the current arrangement versus enormously complicating their supply chain and procurement with hunting down and contracting one-offs everywhere that the flight kitchen is not yet open or cannot handle the volume.
And you bring up another good point.

Even if a station has a flight kitchen, it doesn't mean they have the staffing to work for everyone. This is an industry wide problem.
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Sorry - that's a ridiculous excuse. The same way they double cater the sad boxes, they can double cater breakfast/lunches. They used to (and still do it) with special meals. At the very least it can be a cold meal.

As for the crappy quality - that I agree 100%. Even if you go the Covid box route...make it a little better and larger. There's more food in a snack box.

And aside from all that....DL should just be honest. If the meal is scheduled for a Covid Box - just put that on the itinerary. They don't want to do that, because they realize it is ridiculous that they're still serving it. But you cannot be writing DINNER as your meal and then deliver a 2" banana bread loaf in a box.
no its real life.