FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyAO2

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Not every airport has a LGS or Gate Gourmet kitchen to cater flights. So in that case Delta (and the other airlines) will contract with a airport restaurant to do the catering. I don't know if most of you have noticed but pretty much every restaurant in the country is struggling to find employees. So the issue right now in the flight kitchen-less airports is the airlines are having a very hard time finding a restaurant willing (much less able) to take on a catering contract again.

Delta's theory, which i agree with, is that it is better for a flight like ATL-TUS to get sad boxes because TUS-ATL is going to get sad boxes. This does two things, it prevents pissed off passengers getting angry at FAs because "WELL! ON MY WAY FROM ATLANTA I GOT XYZ!!!!" and (I'm assuming here) it takes some of the heat off of the Atlanta flight kitchen that is also struggling to find employees. Every flight kitchen in the country is struggling to find people.
I am fine and totally understand all of this.

with that said, my issue is the quality of the sad boxes. Two things, one, just seems like overall they are cheap crap but two Delta (and the other airlines doing stuff like this) are trying way too hard on the meals. Simple sandwich with some chips and maybe some fruit if logistically possible. Simple salad with meat on the side and maybe some fruit if logistically possible. Thats all they have to do. Nothing super cute. Nothing that sounds like I comes from a 3 star restaurant but taste worse than something I can get at McDonald's. Just something simple and with some quality. If Publix can sell me a boars head sandwich, chips and a drink for 6-8 bucks, I'm pretty sure Delta could bump the quality in the name of the "fancy" aspect and serve something much better.

My advice to anyone who doesn't know, for the most part a simple google search can tell you if the station you are going to has a kitchen or not (Trust me, if they are they are probably hiring making said search easier). My policy for those stations haven't changed since COVID. Either stop and get a few snacks in the airport or most airports have some kind of sandwich/salad kiosk that has some decent food. Stop and get something. It sucks you have to do that but it keeps me fed and happy.
Sorry - that's a ridiculous excuse. The same way they double cater the sad boxes, they can double cater breakfast/lunches. They used to (and still do it) with special meals. At the very least it can be a cold meal.

As for the crappy quality - that I agree 100%. Even if you go the Covid box route...make it a little better and larger. There's more food in a snack box.

And aside from all that....DL should just be honest. If the meal is scheduled for a Covid Box - just put that on the itinerary. They don't want to do that, because they realize it is ridiculous that they're still serving it. But you cannot be writing DINNER as your meal and then deliver a 2" banana bread loaf in a box.