FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:34 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Ziz
Yes, it is lucky for sure. In my case I would have chosen to connect via a different city since any of the eastern seaboard would have been just as good. Never mind, I’ve learned to always check flyertalk before booking a new route. It didn’t even occur to me that there wouldn’t be a connections facility!
Originally Posted by Ziz
I acknowledge all of that. I consider myself a seasoned traveller, although I had not done this particular type of connection (International to international in the US) before so wasn't aware that 2h would be considered "tight". I've done it, for example, at Heathrow with no issues at all. On my own I would have been perfectly happy spending the 6h in the Flagship lounge, but my son was exhausted as it was, so we went to the Hilton and flew out the next day. I would have chosen a different connection airport had I known! Anyway, as I said, I'll be sure not to make assumptions in future.
Unlike at LHR, there are no international-to-international transit facilities at any US airport. Every passenger arriving in the US on an international flight has to be admitted into the US and must clear immigration and customs inspections at their first port of entry. That is regardless of whether they connect to another flight, domestic or international. I believe that it is the same in Canada.

A few US airports, including DFW, IAH and MIA, but not ORD, have international to international luggage transfer. However, the connecting passenger still has to go through US immigration before boarding their flight to another international destination.

So, even if you connected in a different US city on the eastern seaboard, you still would have had to go through US passport controls when your transatlantic flight landed in the US. The only way that could have avoided going through both US and Canadian immigration and customs controls was for you to have flown non-stop to Toronto or with a connection at another Canadian airport.