FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:22 pm
canuck_traveler

Originally Posted by Matt Adams Ministries
hmm, I tried to find something like that but if sub $500 main cabin, the miles are like <400 MQDs I think. Not sure this route is right…can you give any more details?
MQDs when flying on partner airlines is calculated based on the distance flown and the class of fare (i.e. not on the price of the ticket.)

JFKEZE is suggesting flying business class on AeroMexico which earns 40% of the distance flown for MQDs. ATL-MEX-TIJ-MEX-ATL is about 5500 miles which would translate to $2,200 MQDs for a business class fare on Aeromexico when credited to Delta.

Basically, you are looking for business class fares to destinations that have a flying distance (round trip) of 5000 miles or more (pretty much anywhere past San Jose, Costa Rica.) Tijuana is 5500 miles becauses you fly to Mexico City and then all the way back north to the California border. Mexicali would be a similar distance.

There are business class fares to Tijuana from Atlanta in the $850 range between now and the end of the year. (you can do a search in ITAMATRIX)

e.g. Oct 8 - 9.

If you are going to fly Economy, then you will need to fly a much longer distance since the MQD earning is much less (sometimes 5% or maybe even nothing.)

The MR to JNB/CPT on Virgin Atlantic earns 25% of distance flown for MQD in Economy Delight class. The flying distance to JNB/CPT from Atlanta is about 20,000 miles.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Aug 6, 2022 at 7:12 pm Reason: add example of ATL-TIJ