FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:18 pm
southsquare

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by perryman
Belfast for me too. On my last trip I took the Black Taxi Tours of the divided areas of the city. I thought I was politically clued up but there were some real interesting eye-openers on the tour. I took it at the end of the trip and just added on the drop off to BHD. Titanic Tour, a good lunch in one of the many good bars, ended by the Black Taxi tour. Wasn't there in winter so can't confirm/deny any Christmas market involvement.
BHD is within spitting distance of the Ulster Folk Museum, a wonderful collection of 17th-20th century rural and urban dwellings, complete with real-life basket weavers, loom operators and small-scale agricultural animals (pigs, chickens). The museum has a wonderful rural location overlooking Belfast Lough, and offers a great insight into the island's rural past (e.g. turf cutting), its Irish and Scottish roots, its deeply engrained religious history, early encounter with the industrial revolution and shift to modernity (e.g. early cinema, bicycle repair shop, rural physican's surgery). Nearby is the Ulster Transport Museum, for fans of vintage cars, trains and planes. For both:

https://www.nmni.com/Ulster-Folk-Museum/Home.aspx

It's possible, but not necessary, to book tickets in advance. Shortly before Christmas, there are carol services in the two churches that form part of the Fol Museum, for which tickets (bookable online) are necessary.

From BHD to either or both museums, take train or taxi or walk/run (around 4.5 miles). For train, walk straight out of terminal building, a small minibus/van is just outside to the left. It provides a courtesy shuttle to "the halt" (i.e. Sydenham railway station). BHD is a small airport so that courtesy shuttle doubles up as the car parking attendant and the security patrol i.e. don't be surprised if it doesn't look like a shuttle. Or walk out of airport main entrance, turn right and walk to Sydenham railway station, about 7 mins walk, crossing the busy A2 via the pedestrain bridge. Take any train in the direction of Bangor. Cultra (for both museums) is the second stop. Fare is £3.80. Buy ticket on train, noting that the the train conductor's ticket gadget works only on sections of the track on which there are no overhanging trees.

To walk/run, turn left out of BHD main entrance and proceed 4.5 miles. The first 2.5 miles (to Holywood) isn't great. At Holywood, shift onto North Down Coastal Path for the remaining 2 miles along the beach. Or take above train to Holywood (first stop) and walk/run from there.