FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:40 pm
salut0

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd also highlight the recently re-opened Burrell Collection in Glasgow, closed since 2016. I've not been yet, but it looks like a grand job was made of the new set-up.
Was just at the Burrell Collection today but only had time for a very brief visit. It was fantastic. For comparison for those who know NYC and London, it’s like a cross between The Cloisters (incredible medieval art collection inside a building containing some wonderful bricolage of medieval architecture), The Frick collection (wealthy magnate’s personal collection of eclectic art) and the Morgan Library (wealthy magnate’s personal collection in a pleasant and airy modern building) but set inside a park that feels like a bit like Hampstead Heath (picking berries and walking through woods).

I said today I’d like to go back and spend the whole day: bring a picnic to eat in the park for lunch, wander around the grounds in the morning, see some art after lunch and finish up with tea and cake at the cafe (looked nice but had closed by the time we left the exhibition).

Definitely fantastic in the summer. The park would be less charming but probably fun for an energetic rainy walk in winter if you found somewhere nice to have tea or a more fortifying drink afterwards.