FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:46 pm
sfvoyage

Originally Posted by YYCGT
yes, I had similar experiences back in 2014 when Uber or apps for taxis weren’t available. No issues traveling around using Uber except so many will want to try charging more for the ride via Uber if they accept your fare (prior to showing up). This was annoying especially during rush hours where they say it will take longer, but the apps allow for additional charges for time over the estimated amount.

A driver had tried to use an excuse that the cellular reception isn’t good in an area and will ask for cash even if you paid on your linked credit card to your app. Don’t fall for this. That happened to me this last trip, however, I saved the receipt showing physical payment with cash and was reimbursed by Uber.

I didn’t try free wifi, I went straight for a SIM card. VPN’s don’t work on the cell networks.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I dislike the stress of being taken for a ride (literally and figuratively)!

My trip to Istanbul isn't till next April. Isn't there supposed to be a metro link to the new IST? I wonder if it may be operational by then...