Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 25, 19, 4:31 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 22, 11:09 pm

How do the lines move at immigration and security? Is it like the disasters that can happen at AMS or has it been handled properly at IST? And if it's bad, is it worth it to pay for one of the fast-track services?
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by siege101 View Post
How do the lines move at immigration and security? Is it like the disasters that can happen at AMS or has it been handled properly at IST? And if it's bad, is it worth it to pay for one of the fast-track services?
It's been handled properly at Istanbul and there is no mess compared to see what you would see in Central Europe.
There is decent staffing at Istanbul and IMO, paying for fast-track would make no sense unless you are in a super rush.

Even at most peak times, you would not wait more than 15-20 minutes where most of the time wait times would be around 5 minutes.
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Don't expect to pay more than ₺250 ( about Ä15 ) a taxi.
Is this still current? From IST to Taksim area (e.g. Grand Hyatt)? How long does the journey take, for instance, on a Thursday starting at around 18:15 from the airport?

Apparently there is also the Havaist bus line 16 to Taksim, which takes 90 minutes (2 stops en route) for 35 TL (USD2.10). That sounds like a long ride for the 48 km journey...
Old Jul 2, 22, 3:01 pm

Programs: Asiana Club
Taxi is cheap, take the taxi. Depending on the traffic itís about an hour by taxi. I did this back in Feb, but I departed the airport around 12:30am and took about 40 mins to get to Taksim area. Use Uber to book your taxi to save the headaches.

Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
Is this still current? From IST to Taksim area (e.g. Grand Hyatt)? How long does the journey take, for instance, on a Thursday starting at around 18:15 from the airport?

Apparently there is also the Havaist bus line 16 to Taksim, which takes 90 minutes (2 stops en route) for 35 TL (USD2.10). That sounds like a long ride for the 48 km journey...
Old Jul 2, 22, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by YYCGT View Post
Taxi is cheap, take the taxi. Depending on the traffic itís about an hour by taxi. I did this back in Feb, but I departed the airport around 12:30am and took about 40 mins to get to Taksim area. Use Uber to book your taxi to save the headaches.
I had a bad experience with taking a taxi from the old IST years ago (got taken on a long and circuitous ride) and so I try to avoid them if possible. Are taxis on meter or flat rate from IST? I guess if booked via Uber, it is flat rate, but what about in general? And is there free wifi everywhere at the airport?
Old Jul 2, 22, 5:03 pm

I had a bad experience with taking a taxi from the old IST years ago (got taken on a long and circuitous ride) and so I try to avoid them if possible. Are taxis on meter or flat rate from IST? I guess if booked via Uber, it is flat rate, but what about in general? And is there free wifi everywhere at the airport?
You have to agree to the fare before you get in the taxi. They donít use any meters. From IST to Taksim, you shouldnít have to pay more than 20 euros. We tried to use the Bitaksi app (their Uber apparently) but found it to be pretty glitchy and not reliable.

We got ripped off taking taxis a couple of times, too, but theyíre just everywhere and so easy to flag down. And when they do rip you off itís for like $3-$5 so we just rolled with the punches, chalk it up to cost of traveling, etc.

All of them drive like theyíre racing for their lives, cutting everyone off, texting and cursing and talking on the phone, but somehow will get you to where you wanna go in half the time that google map estimates, usually in one piece.
Old Jul 2, 22, 9:16 pm

Programs: Asiana Club
yes, I had similar experiences back in 2014 when Uber or apps for taxis werenít available. No issues traveling around using Uber except so many will want to try charging more for the ride via Uber if they accept your fare (prior to showing up). This was annoying especially during rush hours where they say it will take longer, but the apps allow for additional charges for time over the estimated amount.

A driver had tried to use an excuse that the cellular reception isnít good in an area and will ask for cash even if you paid on your linked credit card to your app. Donít fall for this. That happened to me this last trip, however, I saved the receipt showing physical payment with cash and was reimbursed by Uber.

I didnít try free wifi, I went straight for a SIM card. VPNís donít work on the cell networks.

Old Jul 3, 22, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
It's been handled properly at Istanbul and there is no mess compared to see what you would see in Central Europe.
There is decent staffing at Istanbul and IMO, paying for fast-track would make no sense unless you are in a super rush.

Even at most peak times, you would not wait more than 15-20 minutes where most of the time wait times would be around 5 minutes.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old Jul 3, 22, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by YYCGT View Post
yes, I had similar experiences back in 2014 when Uber or apps for taxis werenít available. No issues traveling around using Uber except so many will want to try charging more for the ride via Uber if they accept your fare (prior to showing up). This was annoying especially during rush hours where they say it will take longer, but the apps allow for additional charges for time over the estimated amount.

A driver had tried to use an excuse that the cellular reception isnít good in an area and will ask for cash even if you paid on your linked credit card to your app. Donít fall for this. That happened to me this last trip, however, I saved the receipt showing physical payment with cash and was reimbursed by Uber.

I didnít try free wifi, I went straight for a SIM card. VPNís donít work on the cell networks.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I dislike the stress of being taken for a ride (literally and figuratively)!

My trip to Istanbul isn't till next April. Isn't there supposed to be a metro link to the new IST? I wonder if it may be operational by then...
Old Jul 8, 22, 2:49 pm

I got through immigration and customs within probably about 15 minutes and that was with an extra bag check at customs, which literally added about 30 seconds. I guess I look suspicious, that's twice on this trip so far I've been selected for extra security screenings.
Old Jul 14, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I just wanted to sanity check my plan to get a local, black, taxi in a few days time (Saturday, lunchtime) , after arrival on a domestic flight.... We're travelling as a group with 6 people, including a baby and 4 big bags... I think the black taxis would be still big enough for us, but I'm struggling to get that confirmation due to all the adverts for transfer companies. We're just going to Sultanahmet. I guess for the price we could also get two normal taxis too, but would prefer one big one if possible so we're all together.

The alternative is a €200 transfer from the hotel which seems unnecessary from reading this thread. Thoughts welcome?

Edit: Very easy to do this in the end, the taxi was per the set fee (700 TK at the time of writing) and could fit 6 adults and 6 suitcases (including some large ones). Waiting time was less than 3 minutes as there were 2 families ahead of us in the queue.

Last edited by littlevoices; Jul 18, 22 at 4:41 am Reason: Added my answer

Search this Thread