FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:24 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
I don't think we can surmise much about the future from the last three years. UA introduced PQPs just before Covid, and that made everything a mess, and continues to for different reasons.
I’m not. This has been a trend since long before COVID. It is clear that UA has adjusted their J/F price points to a place where they’re finding buyers.

The basic premise — that upgrades are scarce because there are “too many” Premier (or 1K) members — is flawed. Upgrades are scarce because UA is selling the seats.

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I wonder if this means status will be extended to 7-31-2023 as well? Cause if someone is 1k now and has PPs which expire 7-31-2023 but doesn't requalify, does that mean they'll be Silver, Gold, whatever after 1-31-2023 but still have PPs?
Yes, they would be Silver, Gold, or whatever and still have PPs. There’s no particular contradiction there. You can already use PlusPoints to sponsor another person regardless of status, so there are already plenty of non-Plat/1K/GS passengers in the system with PlusPoints applied.

Being granted PlusPoints is a Plat/1K/GS benefit. Using them is not.