FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:07 pm
js1993

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know that it will impact me. But I do think the endless extensions are silly and have created an expectation that people are somehow entitled to special treatment. Let's just be done with this and move on. Expire the darn things and let people start over.

Maybe. It's a zero cost method for UA to potentially tip the scales in its favor when a customer is making a purchase decision. To me it just shows how little UA cares about the ongoing dilution of earned benefits.
To me, it shows the opposite. The people who made 1k in 2019 did so by spending and/or flying a lot more than was required of people who "earned" status in 2021, and the 2019 class did so just in time to not be able to use most or all of the benefits. People who, pre-Covid, flew a lot to Asia, Australia, and other foreign destinations can't realistically be expected to have started flying those same miles within the U.S. — in the middle of a pandemic, no less.