FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:29 am
Sifu

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Honors Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk
I’ve got one of those trips booked in a couple of weeks time. I booked it as a cheap TP efficient trip to see family near SFO but with all the travel chaos recently, I was starting to think it fell into the ‘good idea at the time’ category.

Glad you survived @Sifu, and a premature welcome to the GGL ranks!

A few questions:
- were you able to check in online and get your boarding pass for at least the AGP-HEL-LHR sectors?
- I’ll be hand baggage only. Reading your post I think you had to check in bags. How early do the Finnair check-in desks open before the flight in case it’s a desk check-in?
- the lounge at AGP I think closes at 11pm. Presume therefore it was closed for the 1.15am flight?
Thanks in advance! I thought only my friend and I were mad enough to be going back to back for GGL but thankfully this community isn’t too niche!

First time round, the Iberia agent on behalf of Finnair struggled to check bags all the way through and checked it through to JFK but was able to sort out all the boarding passes as far as LAX. Thankfully, all the different airline apps were pretty good and we were able to pick up our passes digitally. We picked up the remaining boarding passes on the first leg at JFK through to LAS.

On the second trip, the agent managed to check the bags with tags all the way through to SFO but requiring the usual bag pick up at JFK as per the usual TSA rules. It will depend on who you get on the check in desk on the day but they seem pretty clued up now as they are aware of a few TP runners doing this route.

For the 0115 departures off AGP which were the flights I boarded on birth occasions, the desk opened up at around 2230. There’s two lines for Finnair, one for priority check in/business and an economy check in. It isn’t very well maintained and can be a bit of a free for all so don’t just aim for the first line and check the screens before queuing.

Sala Lounge is closed at 2230 so you will be hanging around a while. Gates don’t get announced until 0010.