FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:05 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
But at least you got to use them, that should provide some consolation! I am impressed you could go through them all, until the pandemic hit I watched my unused RPUs/GPUs and then PPs expire at the end of the year. During the pandemic I still could not use them because I wasn't flying much, they just got extended.
I have a great deal of flexibility and am perfectly willing to be a seat-filler for UA in order to get J at Y prices. I've never had a significant number expire.

A few of the flights I used them on, I would have gotten CPUs anyway. And even if I wouldn't have, I'd never have wasted PlusPoints on flights like AUS-DEN if I didn't have the impression that they were going to expire shortly.

I'm glad they extended them in general, but I wish they'd have done it all at once instead of doing it piecemeal.

Generally people's views in this thread whether UA should or should not extend PPs are a direct reflection of how it affects them. It's interesting to read for me since it probably has no major impact on me.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I wish they would do the opposite and sop up a lot of PPs out there by releasing more STW inventory.
UA has no particular desire to sop them up. Once they're used, they're no longer able to drive traffic to UA. In UA's perfect world, everyone has an infinite supply of PlusPoints that they always expect will clear but never do.