FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:47 pm
uanj

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I appreciate the extension, even though I'll still be nowhere close to use up all my PP balance by 31JUL23. I kind of wish they bring back the skip the waitlist as well, that would give me more incentive to burn up my PP instead of not finding any PZ space and end up booking a moderately cheap J-fare instead.
Me as well. STW would be a good way to soak up some of the outstanding PP balances.

Originally Posted by jsloan
:sigh: That's what I get for trusting UA, I guess.

I have no PPs remaining, because I was successfully able to use them all, throwing them at flights that I'd never have wasted them on in the past. The only reason I did this was that I thought that they were expiring at the end of July, and it was better to use them than to lose them. (I even used a MUA for open PZ this coming November).

If I'd had any idea that they were going to extend them again, I never would have wasted them on short-haul domestic flights.
But at least you got to use them, that should provide some consolation! I am impressed you could go through them all, until the pandemic hit I watched my unused RPUs/GPUs and then PPs expire at the end of the year. During the pandemic I still could not use them because I wasn't flying much, they just got extended.

Generally people's views in this thread whether UA should or should not extend PPs are a direct reflection of how it affects them. It's interesting to read for me since it probably has no major impact on me.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am so disappointed by this. This just leaves more PlusPoints in the system so those of us who are requalifying and do not need extensions will not get CPUs.

Not a change I like.

It is not as if planes are flying empty. They are flying full at the pointy end with very, very long upgrade lists
Originally Posted by Kacee
Disappointing for those of us who earned PP (and status) in 2021 the hard way.

UA's logic undoubtedly is that extending the points will motivate those who benefit to fly UA vs. the competition. Diluting benefits for the rest of us is apparently of little or no concern.
I would think part of UA's calculus is seeing how much business travel has resumed and whether they were comfortable letting expire PPs for this profitable part of the MP population that they would normally love to have back. But just my guess.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
With all of these PP floating around, don’t expect STW to be prevalent across the next 6 months.
I wish they would do the opposite and sop up a lot of PPs out there by releasing more STW inventory.