FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:12 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bioyuki
My partner is scheduled to fly CDG-CPH-SFO on 7/3 and 7/4 on SAS, but with the looming SAS pilot's strike, I'm looking for backup options. Looking at burning some miles to book him on UA CDG-SFO. I've never cancelled an award ticket before, so asking what happens if SAS doesn't strike and I cancel the UA award very last minute. Based on the United site, it appears I'd just pay a $50 redeposit/service fee (currently Premier Platinum) if I cancel anytime before departure? Can someone validate this, as a one way J ticket is almost 200k miles . ...
That's a correct reading.
Before cancelling, check to see if changing to any sort of award ticket (any route, any lesser mileage) more than 31 days in the future can be done for free. UA says there will be the same fee for changes (for international originating awards) but some have reported no fee. If no fee and the ticket is more the 31 days in the future, you may be able to cancel for free.