FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any difference in customs at Guam?
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:46 pm
KosraeTV

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
SPN Lifer,

I think within the last two years we've had a public defender and our AG move over to Saipan. They couldn't put up with the local ways (not that I blame them). I think the defender works with MLSC or the equivalent in Saipan now or did. There's a local system of everything here and being the youngest of all islands (first was under Pohnpei then only within the last 16 years or so became a state) it is still traditional in many ways. Compact II between FSM / USA is creating a huge learning curve and wake up call.

I'm originally from the MidWest USA, but have lived out here for years and lived on two of the major islands, now home is Kosrae. Let's put it this way, I miss the old airport in Guam with the third floor lounge overlooking the runway. Had some great parties up there in the middle of the night. Came for the diving on a one year contract that turned into a local marriage and three kids. Being a Micronesian marriage means relatives in Palau, all FSM islands, Marshall's, Guam, etc..., you know the drill I'm sure. There is actually a cable TV system about a year and half old or so (two week tape delay on most channels with live CNN / ESPN) but that has nothing to do with my moniker. We just got our first paved road about two years ago !! Big time advancement.

The church is still going strong on island and you still can get into trouble for doing ANYTHING on Sunday's here. No sports, fishing, boating, outside fires, work, construction, cutting grass, anything and everything etc... Everything is closed up except the churches. No planes, no cargo shipments. If the boats land on Sunday they can tie up, but cargo off load will not start until midnight Sunday, if the boats land Saturday work stops at midnight.

There's a lot wrong with all the islands, but there's a lot that is right about them. From what you said I think you would find it enjoyable here for a visit. Certain times of the year are better then others for the traditional aspects of island life. One thing we do need is for competition. Rock Island (the palau airlines) just started going PNI and others are starting a few flights to PNI and Hawaiin (maybe it's Aloha) goes to Marshalls. The other airlines are starting to come around. CO Mic has had a monopoly money maker for years, and it's CO Mic that is always put up for collateral when CO needed a bail out or funding. But atleast they have MicroSaver Fares for residents even if they are not on their web site. And they land every day except Sunday, so I've learned to be grateful for the small things in life.

There's a thread for you to start, the differences between CO and CoMic.