Any difference in customs at Guam?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Any difference in customs at Guam?

If I'm flying Continental to Guam (territory of USA), and I hold a USA passport and the first flight originates in mainland USA, is there any difference when arriving at Guam if I transit via Hawaii versus Japan? In other words, as a USA citizen, if my flights are wholly between USA airport (say LAX-HNL-GUM), I think I'm not restricted as to the items I bring. However, if I fly LAX-Japan on UA and then connect to a Continental NRT-GUM on Continental, am I then subjected to a different set of customs rules (ie, maximum $400 of merchandise) since I transited an international airport on the inbound flights?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
Originally Posted by crankyusi
If I'm flying Continental to Guam (territory of USA), and I hold a USA passport and the first flight originates in mainland USA, is there any difference when arriving at Guam if I transit via Hawaii versus Japan? In other words, as a USA citizen, if my flights are wholly between USA airport (say LAX-HNL-GUM), I think I'm not restricted as to the items I bring. However, if I fly LAX-Japan on UA and then connect to a Continental NRT-GUM on Continental, am I then subjected to a different set of customs rules (ie, maximum $400 of merchandise) since I transited an international airport on the inbound flights?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
If they treat Guam the same as the Virgin Islands, then you're allowed 1200USD of duty free products to bring back to the mainland, provided you bought at least 600 or 800 in Guam (basically, you're allowed 1200USD total if you visit a free port that is also a US Territory/Posession, but if you stop in other countries as well, the lower limit is also included in the 1200USD).

Say you bought 350USD of stuff in JP, then you can bring back upto 850USD of stuff in Guam, and still pay no duty. You can still only bring back upto 400USD of stuff from JP, which then lowers your duty free allowance from Guam to 800USD.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response Billiam. I'm thinking of buying about $2,000 worth of car\boat parts in the USA mainland and bring to some relatives in Guam.
Everything should be able to packed as checked-in luggage to Guam. If I understand you correctly, I will be need to pay some sort of customs tax when arriving at Guam regardless of whether transiting Japan or Hawaii? Bummer, since I think that if I flew California to Oregon there would be no formal customs in Oregon for that. Thanks again.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by crankyusi
Bummer, since I think that if I flew California to Oregon there would be no formal customs in Oregon for that. Thanks again.
Correct, but you are comparing two different setups. CA -> OR, you are going from a state to another state thus there is no "import" tax since you are not leaving the US. US -> Guam you are actually leaving the country. While it is a territory of the US it is not actually a state in the US and therefore CAN subject the import to duty. I believe it can't by law be any worse then with any other foreign country. They also have to option of not charging taxes also. Just remember territories operate as their own "country" (with some restrictions) untill they become a state.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
As flyerCO already stated, state sales tax is a completely separate issue from Customs duty. And, crakyusi, I have good news for you: according to the official Guam website, Guam is a duty-free port, meaning that there should be no duty charged for imported items regardless of the value. As such, your travel route should not make a difference. See:

http://ns.gov.gu/customs.html
Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Guam is considered to be outside the "U.S. Customs Zone" and administers its own customs regulations via the "Guam Customs & Quarantine Agency," an agency of the Government of Guam, rather than BICE. Passengers from both the U.S. and Japan are subject to customs inspection.

However, Guam itself is a duty free port; in general, everything coming into Guam (provided it is legal) is not subject to any sort of import tax. Note that I said in general. A complicating factor is the Guam "Use Tax" which is assessed at a rate of 4% on all gifts and goods acquired abroad for personal use. Each person is allowed a $1,000 exemption per each 30 day period, subject to a $5,000 max per annum. You might have to pay $40 (4% of $2,000 - $1,000)... but they may let you slide.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; Nov 27, 2004 at 5:24 pm
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the responses and I learned something new from each of you. It was about 20 years ago when I flew HNL-GUM (I think that was the routing) and also flew NRT-GUM-NRT about 2 years ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a friendly customs officer. Again, thank you very much.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:46 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Hi Crankyusi,

I transit Guam often and have family and friends there, saying this I have never had a problem with customs or taxation issues.

The way I understood the use tax is that it is a tax charged if you live in Guam and order in items (delivered via vessel / mail / luggage) and you are using the items yourself. Not to be applied to people bringing in items into Guam for other use, and the limit is $100.00 USD.

" Use Tax: All personal property imported into Guam for use or consumption by the person importing it is subject to four percent (4%) tax on the landed cost. Property imported for resale is not subject to this tax.

The tax does not apply to property having had a substantial use by the person bringing it into Guam before importation, or to machinery and other moved when the contract or other work is completed.

No tax is imposed when the total value of all property imported by any one person in any one calendar month is $100 or less.

Purchase of personal property on Guam for use or consumption from a person not liable for Gross Receipts Tax is also subject to the four percent (4%) use tax. The $100 exemption also applies to such purchases. "

Being a person bringing items into the territory, not for your use, and a gift, then you shouldn't have to pay anything and you should have no problems at all. Not living there, and only staying a day or two in Guam, I've never been asked if I am leaving items here, bringing items in for other people, etc...
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The two simultaneous posts above by Steve M and HKG_Flyer1 pretty much cover everything, in particular, Steve's link.

See also Title 5, Guam Code Annotated, Chapter 73 (Customs and Quarantine Agency)
http://www.guamattorneygeneral.com/gca/5gc073.pdf

Title 4, Guam Administrative Rules and Regulations, Commerce, Chapter 2, Customs and Quarantine
http://www.naag.org/upload/04GAR001-2.pdf

Guam controls its own customs, so your routing doesn't matter. Be sure to pick up a copy of the customs form on the plane or in the baggage claim area. They are available in English and Japanese.

Your treatment will not be dependent on the grace of a "friendly customs officer."

However, whether your material is intended for personal use (gifts) or business use (operations or resale) may have relevance. I haven't read all 37 pages of the first PDF file linked to above, nor the 12 pages of the second, and am not undertaking to provide legal advice -- even though I am an active member of the Guam Bar.

In general, when filling out customs forms, I tend to list everything (collectively) I'm bringing into the jurisdiction if I intend to dispose of it, with an annotation that it is for "personal use -- gifts", plus any specified items on the form, such as alcohol.

I'll even list food items such as "packaged airline crackers," under the theory that applying a philosophy of "when in doubt, declare it" makes one less suspect by customs officials due to the attention to detail demonstrated. On the other hand, if you omit something, that makes it harder to argue it was overlooked.

Notwithstanding Guam's control of its own customs, there may be a constitutional issue as to its ability to tax items coming from the U.S., but I do not know whether it has been litigated.

I wrote most of this before reading the post of KosraeTV, but he has more recent experience visiting Guam than I do, and it sounds right to me.

I would love to visit Kosrae some day!
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:01 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Well, SPN Lifer brings up a whole new issue about if they can or can not tax goods brought in from the USA mainland in luggage. I'm not sure they can inspect for taxation purposes baggage from the USA.

"73126. Examination of Baggage. The Collector may cause an examination to be made of the baggage of any person arriving in Guam from a point outside the United States of America, including the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, in order to ascertain what articles are contained therein and whether prohibited, notwith- standing a declaration and entry therefor has been made. "

The way I read it, the customs collector has the right for an examination for baggage coming in to Guam only from outside the USA. And is that because the items coming in from the USA are non taxable??? If you go NRT / Guam you'll be under more scrutiny then going HNL / Guam or IAH / Guam I know that for a fact.

If you want to find out officially, go to www.guamcustoms.org and email them your questions. The islands are great, IMHO, but they sure can get confusing. I very well could be doing things wrong and giving you bad advice.

I'd just tell them that you are a US citizen departing the USA, transiting Guam and ask them if you can can bring gifts bought in the US mainland for friends who are residents on Guam, and if there are any fees / valuation limits / restrictions associated with gifts. Worse case scenerio, wrap them in holiday wrapping paper, I've never seen a customs official in the islands open a wrapped gift. I'd love to hear your findings or experience after the trip.

And SPN Lifer, Kosrae is beautiful, friendly, relaxing, etc... but really not much to do except the diving, eco-tourism type things etc... The most under developed island of all. Never a rush and no crowds or such, but still many many years behind even the other islands.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I haven't been to Pohnpei (PNI), either. I enjoy beauty, friendliness, relaxation, as well as hiking, snorkling, and just appreciating traditional attitudes -- imported canned foods and obesity notwithstanding -- and have been interested in Kosrae (KSA) ever since I knew the Officer-in-Charge of Construction at the Navy Seabee Center on Guam in 1983, when the runway was being built. Now that I'm married with two sons, given CO's monopoly fares, it's less likely I'll ever visit.

Most people living in Micronesia are familiar with Kosrae's traditional reputation, including Christian fundamentalism and everything being closed on Sundays. During 4 years as an assistant public defender on Saipan with several thousand clients, I represented a couple of guys from Kosrae.

Are you originally from there, or are you a transplant? Does your moniker indicate that the newest FSM state actually has television now? Do the license plates still have three digits?

It's a good thing you got rid of the Japanese version of your island's name!
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:46 pm

SPN Lifer,

I think within the last two years we've had a public defender and our AG move over to Saipan. They couldn't put up with the local ways (not that I blame them). I think the defender works with MLSC or the equivalent in Saipan now or did. There's a local system of everything here and being the youngest of all islands (first was under Pohnpei then only within the last 16 years or so became a state) it is still traditional in many ways. Compact II between FSM / USA is creating a huge learning curve and wake up call.

I'm originally from the MidWest USA, but have lived out here for years and lived on two of the major islands, now home is Kosrae. Let's put it this way, I miss the old airport in Guam with the third floor lounge overlooking the runway. Had some great parties up there in the middle of the night. Came for the diving on a one year contract that turned into a local marriage and three kids. Being a Micronesian marriage means relatives in Palau, all FSM islands, Marshall's, Guam, etc..., you know the drill I'm sure. There is actually a cable TV system about a year and half old or so (two week tape delay on most channels with live CNN / ESPN) but that has nothing to do with my moniker. We just got our first paved road about two years ago !! Big time advancement.

The church is still going strong on island and you still can get into trouble for doing ANYTHING on Sunday's here. No sports, fishing, boating, outside fires, work, construction, cutting grass, anything and everything etc... Everything is closed up except the churches. No planes, no cargo shipments. If the boats land on Sunday they can tie up, but cargo off load will not start until midnight Sunday, if the boats land Saturday work stops at midnight.

There's a lot wrong with all the islands, but there's a lot that is right about them. From what you said I think you would find it enjoyable here for a visit. Certain times of the year are better then others for the traditional aspects of island life. One thing we do need is for competition. Rock Island (the palau airlines) just started going PNI and others are starting a few flights to PNI and Hawaiin (maybe it's Aloha) goes to Marshalls. The other airlines are starting to come around. CO Mic has had a monopoly money maker for years, and it's CO Mic that is always put up for collateral when CO needed a bail out or funding. But atleast they have MicroSaver Fares for residents even if they are not on their web site. And they land every day except Sunday, so I've learned to be grateful for the small things in life.

There's a thread for you to start, the differences between CO and CoMic.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:54 pm
KathyMoore

I got a somewhat related question.

Are passengers REQUIRED to bring their U.S. passports
on the following flights between HNL and GUM? Do they
have to go through immigration control at either HNL
or GUM?

A) nonstop between HNL and GUM

B) the 5 or 6-stop flight between HNL and GUM
(does CO still operate this flight, if so, what
kind of aircraft?)

Thank you!

Last edited by KathyMoore; Nov 28, 2004 at 7:00 pm

Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:34 pm

Hi KathyMoore,

Continental Micronesia operates the flight you are talking about, it's called the island hopper. Flights 956 and 957 are both Boeing 737-800. One goes from HNL to Guam (957) the other goes Guam to Honolulu (956), and they alternate directions each day. And both cross the international date line. The new 737-800's (with increased FC seats) are not in service out here yet.

It's a killer flight made worse now due to FAA regulations that require half the plane to get off at each stop with all luggage. They pick sides, say seats ABC, or DEF, and if you are in those seats you have to get your bags and get off. The other side that is allowed to stay on the plane has to get their carry on and put it in their lap, then switch sides while they inspect the aircraft. FSM is currently trying to work with them to change this rule but as of right now it is out of their hands.

HNL to Majuro (Marshall Islands) to Kwajalein (military base not allowed off aircraft) to Kosrae to Pohnpei, to Chuuk to Guam. And of course it can be nice to get off the plane.

You will go through immigration control at GUAM upon entering, and then upon return to HNL you will go through immigration control. Entering HNL from the mainland there is no immigration control.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
It's a killer flight made worse now due to FAA regulations that require half the plane to get off at each stop with all luggage. They pick sides, say seats ABC, or DEF, and if you are in those seats you have to get your bags and get off. The other side that is allowed to stay on the plane has to get their carry on and put it in their lap, then switch sides while they inspect the aircraft. FSM is currently trying to work with them to change this rule but as of right now it is out of their hands.

HNL to Majuro (Marshall Islands) to Kwajalein (military base not allowed off aircraft) to Kosrae to Pohnpei, to Chuuk to Guam.
How does the FAA work things at Kwajalein... the FAA says that half the plane must get off, but the military says everyone must stay on the plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.