FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Switching first class and main cabin seats with my parents?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:18 am
WeekendTraveler
Suspended

For the seat that you're paying for (not using the voucher): is buying it in one of your parents' names feasible? Or are you trying to get Loyalty Points in your own name, or something?

For the seat that you're paying for with the voucher: same; is buying it one of your parents' names feasible? Or does the voucher say that it can be used only for a ticket in your name?

Having 2 seats in your name creates some risk that in case of a full flight or something, AA could cancel one of the seats; I've seen stories (although I'm not sure if they're AA-specific, and I don't have first-hand knowledge). And I would think that the gate agent could get really confused when you scan both boarding passes.

Also, on the manifest that the flight attendant sees, I think that it lists the passenger's name, AAdvantage status, fare class (upgrade vs. paid) and maybe other things. I would confirm what the flight attendant can see and if none of the visible details would matter (for example, if you're John Smith IV and your parent is John Smith III or even James Smith, it wouldn't raise any red flags to the flight attendant), I would not necessarily mention anything.

I've traded seats with others in first class before (most recently, a few days ago) and it didn't matter and we didn't tell the flight attendant. I have also been moved up from coach to first class by a passenger who wanted to be in coach to sit next to someone and I don't think that we told the flight attendant and it didn't matter, although that might have been on US Airways.

In short, if it's feasible to get the FC seats in your parents' names, I'd do that, but if not, I would just exchange boarding passes with your parents, board last (since someone making a fuss about 2 people sitting in 2 seats that are in the name of one person is less if the plane is about ready to depart) and sit where you want.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Jun 26, 2022 at 11:44 am