Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Switching first class and main cabin seats with my parents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT

Family of 4 traveling. I have a travel voucher in my name. Can I book 2 seats in first class using my voucher (and paying for the second seat) and then allow my parents to sit there, even if the seats are in my name? They would book their tickets in main cabin.

Do I need to alert the agents or flight attendants about this?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It’s best to alert flight attendants. They won’t mind but it is best for everyone (not least your parents) that they know.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:18 am
Suspended

For the seat that you're paying for (not using the voucher): is buying it in one of your parents' names feasible? Or are you trying to get Loyalty Points in your own name, or something?

For the seat that you're paying for with the voucher: same; is buying it one of your parents' names feasible? Or does the voucher say that it can be used only for a ticket in your name?

Having 2 seats in your name creates some risk that in case of a full flight or something, AA could cancel one of the seats; I've seen stories (although I'm not sure if they're AA-specific, and I don't have first-hand knowledge). And I would think that the gate agent could get really confused when you scan both boarding passes.

Also, on the manifest that the flight attendant sees, I think that it lists the passenger's name, AAdvantage status, fare class (upgrade vs. paid) and maybe other things. I would confirm what the flight attendant can see and if none of the visible details would matter (for example, if you're John Smith IV and your parent is John Smith III or even James Smith, it wouldn't raise any red flags to the flight attendant), I would not necessarily mention anything.

I've traded seats with others in first class before (most recently, a few days ago) and it didn't matter and we didn't tell the flight attendant. I have also been moved up from coach to first class by a passenger who wanted to be in coach to sit next to someone and I don't think that we told the flight attendant and it didn't matter, although that might have been on US Airways.

In short, if it's feasible to get the FC seats in your parents' names, I'd do that, but if not, I would just exchange boarding passes with your parents, board last (since someone making a fuss about 2 people sitting in 2 seats that are in the name of one person is less if the plane is about ready to depart) and sit where you want.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Jun 26, 2022 at 11:44 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This is a total non issue
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Agreed. I would just switch seats and leave it at that.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
And if the FA addresses your parents by the wrong name, just have your parents respond that that’s your kids who are sitting in economy.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stoudty
Family of 4 traveling. I have a travel voucher in my name. Can I book 2 seats in first class using my voucher (and paying for the second seat) and then allow my parents to sit there, even if the seats are in my name? They would book their tickets in main cabin.

Do I need to alert the agents or flight attendants about this?
Domestic US - 99.99999999% FA's won't even notice or care - if they do notice, say you swapped with your kids and 100% they won't care
International - I would let the FA know up front, but they won't care
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Agree with the other posters, this is a non-issue assuming that you communicate with the FAs but DO NOT book more than one seat under your (or anyone else's) name; that carries a high risk of cancellation.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA1K
age is different
flight attendant will be shocked when seeing your parents "wow, you're so young. what's your secret to stay younger?"
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Exjockfoodie
age is different
flight attendant will be shocked when seeing your parents "wow, you're so young. what's your secret to stay younger?"
You think the FAs have each passenger's age listed on the manifest?!
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by njvandy
You think the FAs have each passenger's age listed on the manifest?!
For business class, maybe yes
most of the Asian airlines, cabin crew remember each passenger’s name in business class and first class
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Having 2 seats in your name creates some risk that in case of a full flight or something, AA could cancel one of the seats; I've seen stories (although I'm not sure if they're AA-specific, and I don't have first-hand knowledge). And I would think that the gate agent could get really confused when you scan both boarding passes.

Also, on the manifest that the flighty attendant sees, I think that it lists the passenger's name, AAdvantage status, fare class (upgrade vs. paid) and maybe other things. I would confirm what the flight attendant can see and if none of the visible details would matter (for example, if you're John Smith IV and your parent is John Smith III or even James Smith, it wouldn't raise any red flags to the flight attendant), I would not necessarily mention anything.
I don’t think the OP ever said they were booking two tickets both in their own name. Just that they were buying the J seats in their name (presumably because of the flight credit) and parents would book their own tickets in Y, then they would swap seats.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus / Star Alliance Gold ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by exjock4foodie
For business class, maybe yes
most of the Asian airlines, cabin crew remember each passenger’s name in business class and first class
I flew business class intercontinental with Hainan on the day I turned 40. No one mentioned it.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
I don’t think the OP ever said they were booking two tickets both in their own name. Just that they were buying the J seats in their name (presumably because of the flight credit) and parents would book their own tickets in Y, then they would swap seats.
Were you responding to someone else and accidentally quoted my post, or did you just misread my post?

I stated that the OP would be at risk if the OP had "2 seats in [the OP's] name". I never said that the OP was buying all seats [edited to add: (or two tickets)] in the OP's own name.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Jun 27, 2022 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
And if the FA addresses your parents by the wrong name, just have your parents respond that that’s your kids who are sitting in economy.
Or just smile and say nothing. No one will notice or care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.