FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Having Separate GE and Nexus Programs is a Bad Idea
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:56 pm
DualityOfNam

Originally Posted by Riioun
I'd prefer that a representative from my country is validating an applicant to a Trusted Traveler Program rather than relying on a foreign agent to do so.
That's a fair point, and something I alluded to with sovereignty. It may just be unlawful, under US and/or Canada law, to outsource adjudication of TT program applications to agents of another country.

But, as I mentioned earlier, this could be overcome by the two-step bio-metrics gathering and adjudication at any port of entry or within a specific country (and to repeat for the second). Here's a concrete example:

I apply for NEXUS online and get conditional approval. Once conditionally approved, I drive to the nearest international airport (in this case IAH) and get "interviewed" by CBP. If approved, this would give GE-like privileges and PreCheck, but not NEXUS privileges. On my next trip to Canada, or if I found myself near a land border crossing, I pop in, without the need to schedule an interview, and get approval from CBSA. Now I have full NEXUS privileges. If I never again visit Canada (or vice versa) then I never really needed NEXUS.

The ultimate goal being the streamlining of the application and renewal processes without violating any laws.

Last edited by DualityOfNam; Jun 16, 2022 at 3:06 pm