FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Priceline's United Packages: First Class Bait and Switch
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:09 pm
hotturnip

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by firemandan9
Priceline supervisor admitted their was a "system error" but that my my only recourse was to cancel the flight portion of my flight my + hotel package or refare the flight portion (frustratingly using only public fares, not bulk) as per their description they are totally separate travel components with separate cancelation policies.

Only at this point did they disclose how awful the cost of my hotel portion of my trip was. I fundamentally can't get behind this response as I made my decision to pay ONE packaged total based on the combined services being offered at one presented price. It can't simultaneously be a package and not a package when they make a mistake IMO.

For anyone having trouble replicating the issue:
1) You never get the option presented to upgrade a single segment in my experience, per my screen shot above you select to upgrade the whole round trip only.
2) The sign you have replicated the issue without actually ticketing is the seat maps being off during seat assignment. In hindsight I would have gone through seat selection however it is an
optional part "Conveniently select your seat now for a fee or choose on the airline's website later" of the checkout process and not where I should have to discover the system is actually selling me a mixed class itinerary.
3) Also the checkout pricing also often drops from a small to medium amount due to "additional savings found" when I replicate the issue.
4) Also if you don't get the upgrade offer during checkout you can go through an almost identical process by selecting flight details at checkout.

Exactly, United markets this as they provide the flight component and Priceline supplies the hotel component. As a seasoned traveler I can appreciate the nuances of how Priceline being the underlying travel agent for the whole package means I paid Priceline however this is clearly a United branded experience. I'll be filing a complaint with United corporate for deceptive marketing practices under the United brand, in addition to Priceline directly.

https://packages.united.com/wl/about/

The class of service under flight details in my experience always defaults back to economy if you select "flight details" on the confirmation page. Every time you return to this page you have to reselect a higher class of service from the options. The class of service on the individual segments does not update on this page, all you get is confirmation later in the process that you have successfully booked into "first or business" for the outbound and return.
Thanks for the additional details.

Yep, you've been "Pricelined." Kind of like being "Bonvoyed," except low-rent. I have massive experience with Priceline. Their customer service is even worse than Expedia, believe it or not.

There is no way the actual hotel cost was double retail. They've divided up the package incorrectly. It could be due to a software glitch, incompetence, or greed. Or all three.

Can't you just cancel the whole thing for a full refund, and start over from scratch? (And thanks for warning everybody about the lameness of this product.)