FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:22 am
PTahCha
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by snic
To answer my own question: on a recent LAX-JFK redeye, it was chicken or squash ravioli. Sounds like the dinner service on other flights, not sure why they call it a "snack". I thought the FA said it was Thai chicken, but it was in some sort of spicy sauce with beans and corn, and some rice. Not particularly good, and yes, the chicken wasn't a solid breast but rather large-ish shreds that had been pressed together. There was a skimpy cabbage salad with some sad edamame decoration, a roll, and a truly disgusting Eli's strawberry swirl cheesecake. I'm not a fan of plastic strawberry goop.

A highlight was the Glenfarclas scotch, which was very good. I would have preferred just to have a glass of that with some warm nuts to ease me to sleep, but alas there were no nuts at all, warm or not.
That would be the chicken with Latin rice. Either they put the wrong description in the print out, or someone was not paying attention.

Originally Posted by greenpau
You were on my flight ... you must have been in A Zone with me, as the nuts were placed on the tray versus served in advance. My spouse was seated in B Zone, and they got a cocktail and nuts, then the dinner separately. Yes, the service was not buttoned up in A Zone - very junior FAs from ORD. Slow to get started for no reason, single tray service, not proactive with refills. On top of that it was 2.5h late.

The pre-arrival snack was also humorous ... a package of nuts.
Interestingly, I had a conversation with a PMUA/former HKG-based (now EWR) FA, and she said that the single tray service, including nuts and drink on the tray, is the current service model, even on premium transcon flights. If they serve drink/nuts separately on a tray, or (gasp!) bringing out the drink cart, that's above and beyond. Not sure how accurate this is, but it's a data point.