FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:57 am
BobTL

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Not likely, as the whole point of getting people to check their carryons is to speed things up at security. That will be done and over with by the time you board.

Here's one way they could do something about those horrendous queues: send fewer bags to secondary. Schiphol's goal is officially <10%, but as long as they man the scanners with inexperienced, incompetent and insecure staff whose only goal is to cover their behinds and who therefore send every single bag to secondary about which they have the slightest doubts, that's not going to happen. They are lucky if <10% doesn't go to secondary.

And here's another solution: instead of checking every single pax and every single bag, exempt 25% or so, randomly selected. I know, I know, laws, rules, regulations, nanny state risk aversion, general hysteria, etc. etc. But from a safety perspective I can't see it making much of a difference. Who's going to get in line for security with a bomb in his backpack if the chance of getting caught is 75%?

Johan
i like you are trying to come with solutions but you are basically trying to say that safety has to be compromised. That’s a dangerous game to play.