FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:21 pm
Dorowilson

Originally Posted by Smid
I agree, but I also suggest something different.

Long Haul lounge vs Short Haul lounges. They are two massively different products, and far more SH passengers there which fill the lounge. I guarantee the lounges are full of many more SH passengers than QR and AA frequent flyers. I know it's nice to be able to get a full meal and fill yourself with champers on a hop to Glasgow, but do other european carriers do this?

I'm not sure if I like this idea, however, it was clear to me that it existed when I shifted from flying in lovely T3 VS lounge to a T5 LH North flight. I was like "what is this hell?"
Galleries North is absolutely heaving at the moment and, despite its attractive position overlooking the runway, rather resembles a crowded downmarket cafe/ bar. BA has been over generous in allowing former frequent flyers to retain their BAEC status while barely flying and certainly without coming near the already significantly reduced targets. It has also reduced tier point targets for those now flying and allowed business lounge access to sundry BA package holiday bookers even when spending a modest amount. ( The bigger spenders can access Galleries First.) I have come across plenty of those! On top of that are the double points being earned on qualifying BA holidays. All this leads to a massive number of people having silver and using the lounges. Also BA’s many domestic flights are feeder flights for its LHR hub so you are always going to have a lot of silver card holders using the lounge when in transit to and from the regions. Frankly it’s like an uncivilised scrum, more like a nasty pub/ cafe chain than a premium lounge - but that’s largely due to the crowds, a shortage of staff and the complete failure to keep the tables clean. Also it has to be said that there is an unfortunate preponderance of groups of people resembling lager/beer swiilling louts, dressed more like football fans than business people. All in all it’s one to avoid and an appalling advertisement for BA. No wonder the correspondent preferred VS. EK would be my choice- a world apart from this zoo!