Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?

T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?

Old May 28, 22, 4:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 583
T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?

Chatting to one of the BA team yesterday in the CCR, it became clear that some (but by no means all) of the lounge overcrowding is due to QR and AA flights using T5. They are, I gather, very status heavy with significant sized premium cabins as well.

QR are supposed to move to T4 on reopening day which is reportedly 14 June. Has that been confirmed?

What of the AA flights to JFK and LAX [and DFW and MIA edited]? Is there a date for these to move back to T3? I assume it will be after certain T4 airlines vacate T3 but I have no idea when that will be..

Last edited by HFHFFlyer; May 28, 22 at 5:11 am
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 5:04 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Posts: 2,471
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
Chatting to one of the BA team yesterday in the CCR, it became clear that some (but by no means all) of the lounge overcrowding is due to QR and AA flights using T5. They are, I gather, very status heavy with significant sized premium cabins as well.

QR are supposed to move to T4 on reopening day which is reportedly 14 June. Has that been confirmed?

What of the AA flights to JFK and LAX? Is there a date for these to move back to T3? I assume it will be after certain T4 airlines vacate T3 but I have no idea when that will be..
QR is suppose to be going on T4 opening day ahead of any other airlines, but AA are keeping their JFK / LAX / DFW and MIA flights at T5 until the end of the summer season (at least!), no word beyond that at present. I guess it depends when BA feel they can revert to full service on their normal T5 routes which will have a bearing on what T5 can sustain from other airlines!

Pilot37
Pilot37 is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 5:11 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by Pilot37 View Post
QR is suppose to be going on T4 opening day ahead of any other airlines, but AA are keeping their JFK / LAX / DFW and MIA flights at T5 until the end of the summer season (at least!), no word beyond that at present. I guess it depends when BA feel they can revert to full service on their normal T5 routes which will have a bearing on what T5 can sustain from other airlines!

Pilot37
Thanks. Didnt realise it was DFW and MIA as well - so almost all of their flagship first destinations from London. That explains the CCR situation in the middle of the day.

I understood that AA were refurbing their own lounge in T3 and possibly upgrading it from
Admirals to Flagship. Maybe when that project is complete these flights will move back?
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 5:14 am
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,918
In terms of status I think its just CK who get access to CCR. I am not sure any QR elites get access. I think there are fewer CKs than GGLs tbh. The bigger impact is probably QR F and AA F. Also there is an impact for the change where all GGLs get access rather than just CCR card holders.

In terms of AA flights I suspect at least JFK will remain at T5, possibly a few more routes.
KARFA is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 5:46 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,017
Pre-covid the plan was for all of AA to be in T5 by W23, with more BA services using T3 and T5D (remote) stands instead. There are plenty of BA flights that have significantly fewer connections than any AA operation, so logistically it made a lot of sense. I dont know whether/how covid has affected that plan, but equally I dont expect AA ever to move out of T5 completely.
Confus is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 7:40 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
Pre-covid the plan was for all of AA to be in T5 by W23, with more BA services using T3 and T5D (remote) stands instead. There are plenty of BA flights that have significantly fewer connections than any AA operation, so logistically it made a lot of sense. I dont know whether/how covid has affected that plan, but equally I dont expect AA ever to move out of T5 completely.

Interesting. I didnt know that. It begs the question why AA are now building a Flagship
Lounge at T3, if that is indeed the plan..

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...e-at-heathrow/
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 8:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona
Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Posts: 2,999
As far as I know the long term plan is to co-locate in the same terminal on the same route. So rather its BA moving a lot of LH flights back to T3 to make space for AAs routes with F service.

The flagship lounge is AAs combined business and first class and longhaul emerald/sapphire lounge. If AA was planning to return all of its flights to T3 then I would expect them to be working on a FFD area for their F passengers which I dont believe they are.

With respect to the number of CK members getting CCR access, the number of CK members is quite large (15-20K), but this includes their equivalent of Premiere members who may be high value customers that dont actually fly very often.
dylanks is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 8:32 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,646
Will be great when QR move back to T4 and their excellent lounge. GF is pretty poor by comparison.
Grande Annee likes this.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 8:57 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,783
i know regular old GGLs have access to CCR now, but its hard to imagine AA being the culprit given the 77W only has 8 seats in F, which on a daily basis i'd imagine is far less than BA pre-covid when the 744s were still in service, but obviously the combination of factors are making it a tight squeeze.
VSLover is online now  
Old May 28, 22, 9:33 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
i know regular old GGLs have access to CCR now, but its hard to imagine AA being the culprit given the 77W only has 8 seats in F, which on a daily basis i'd imagine is far less than BA pre-covid when the 744s were still in service, but obviously the combination of factors are making it a tight squeeze.
yes. Fair point. I think the problem is more acute in GF where there are lots of AA Platinum Pros and Execs.
dcmike, VSLover and St Elmos Fire like this.
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 9:48 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 13,100
I doubt that AA would leave Terminal 5 soon.
AA and BA increased their partner ship with equal mileage amounts on both metal, GUF/SWU synchronization among airlines, etc... and both airlines see each other as an important partner.

When all those business travelers whose company banned or reduced corporate travel allowances would not be able to fly, those people would apparently lose their status and lounges would be much quieter than present.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 12:32 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Posts: 226
This morning was very busy with the start of half term. Lots of children travelling and a full QR A380 will have only added to the melee.

However I doubt QR are much of a burden on the lounges. They send their passengers to Aspire as a default and didnt even mention the BA lounges until I prompted. I doubt all that many of their J and F passengers migrate to Galleries unless theyre savvier status holders.

I tried to visit Aspire just for novelty but the queue was too long so I walked straight to T5B Galleries. On entry the lounge angel harrumphed and said this says Aspire Lounge so I said yes I know, would you like to see my silver card? And she insisted on it, even though I know my BP gave her everything she needed to admit me!
St Elmos Fire is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 12:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
QR are supposed to move to T4 on reopening day which is reportedly 14 June. Has that been confirmed?
Its confirmed, first flight arrival QR11 on 14th
Reason077 and HFHFFlyer like this.
St Elmos Fire is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 12:35 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,495
Would be good then if a CCR in T3 if BA going to continue moving routes their to make way for AA at T5 (who I believe will now never be leaving T5). What I might expect long term is a joined premier offering in T3.
I thought people were saying CCR felt quieter than normal and being attributed to reduced BA F seats?!
gw76 is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 12:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,698
The best solution to all this would be to build out T5 to connect to T3, as is the plan
allturnleft and HFHFFlyer like this.
N1120A is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread