FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Milan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2022, 3:38 pm
bostontraveler

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I guess "large" is relative, but I would rather use the hotel's service for 98 euro than an on demand ride for 50. The hotel-arranged car will be there with a sign waiting, and odds of a seamless early check in increase substantially IME. I don't think 2x is a particularly large markup. I see $180-250 at lots of US properties where a black car would be $40-60 on Uber. That's what I would consider a large markup.
Except it isn't always 2x. Usually the delta is higher than that in Italy... and elsewhere.

Look, do as you please but remember that hotels are a middleman. If money is not a concern than by all means choose what you want.

But objectively you will pay more. Because the hotel isn't offering the service- they are reselling someone else's service.

The US is a bit of an outlier in many ways these days... with huge pent-up local demand and no controlled prices so I would caution against US- Europe comparisons.... very, very different realities.