Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Milan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Milan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 30, 22, 9:23 am
  #706  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,873
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
If you are going to central Milan take the Malpensa Express train and then a taxi or the metro from Cadorna station.
Private transportation including taxis are ridiculously expensive and you risk sitting in traffic forever if you arrive in the morning.so more of a hassle in my opinion.
2 parties of 4, including grandparents + kids, so while going solo I have done & would do the Express again, with this many people + bags thinking car.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 9:34 am
  #707  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Paris
Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
2 parties of 4, including grandparents + kids, so while going solo I have done & would do the Express again, with this many people + bags thinking car.
ah, gotcha. Well European Limousine.it is at the airport but if you Google transfer Malpensa Milano there are some other sites as well to compare prices.
UA-NYC likes this.
bostontraveler is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 9:43 am
  #708  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,953
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
2 parties of 4, including grandparents + kids, so while going solo I have done & would do the Express again, with this many people + bags thinking car.
I'd look at a car service app too see pricing and timing, then compare to MXP express. At the moment, FreeNow is showing 100 and 50 minutes from MXP. If all arrive at the same time, I'd look into a vehicle that can fit 8 people.

How mobile are the grandparents and kids?
richarddd is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 10:10 am
  #709  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,873
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
I'd look at a car service app too see pricing and timing, then compare to MXP express. At the moment, FreeNow is showing 100 and 50 minutes from MXP. If all arrive at the same time, I'd look into a vehicle that can fit 8 people.

How mobile are the grandparents and kids?
will be going at two different times from Milan to MXP so two parties of 4

plenty mobile but if already in a car to Centrale would rather just go all the way to MXP
UA-NYC is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 10:51 am
  #710  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,487
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Any recommended car services to/from MXP? Thx.
If you haven't already, I'd check with the hotel - often in Europe the price will be as good as booking directly.

Or just do taxis. I don't know about MXP, but at many European airports the private car services are less convenient because you have to walk to the parking garage as opposed to just climbing in right outside arrivals.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 11:23 am
  #711  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Paris
Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
If you haven't already, I'd check with the hotel - often in Europe the price will be as good as booking directly.

Or just do taxis. I don't know about MXP, but at many European airports the private car services are less convenient because you have to walk to the parking garage as opposed to just climbing in right outside arrivals.
Not a big deal at MXP.

The hotels in Italy aren't great for transportation options.. they mark up already expensive service.

Whatever you do, don't take Uber in Milan... it's outrageous... completely flopped in Italy.

FreeNow is better.
bostontraveler is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 12:23 pm
  #712  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,487
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
The hotels in Italy aren't great for transportation options.. they mark up already expensive service.
Inaccurate overgeneralization. We got an E Class from FCO for 98 euro through StR Rome last fall. Better than any option I've ever been offered by a US property.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 12:41 pm
  #713  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Paris
Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Inaccurate overgeneralization. We got an E Class from FCO for 98 euro through StR Rome last fall. Better than any option I've ever been offered by a US property.
Not inaccurate and not an overgeneralization. Of course there can be exceptions.

As an Italian myself having spent the past 30+ years traveling all over Italy the hotel options are consistently overpriced in my experience.

98 is in the overpriced range in my book when a standard taxi is 1/2 that price. But to each his own.

Point being- check with the hotel for sure, but check transfer services and avoid Uber at all costs.
EuropeanPete and edgewood49 like this.
bostontraveler is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 12:47 pm
  #714  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,953
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Inaccurate overgeneralization. We got an E Class from FCO for 98 euro through StR Rome last fall. Better than any option I've ever been offered by a US property.
FreeNow lists 50 FCO to StR at the moment. It can be misleading to compare different days and different times, but that's consistent with bostontraveler's experience and suggests 98 was a large mark-up.
richarddd is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 3:22 pm
  #715  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Posts: 5,838
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
FreeNow lists 50 FCO to StR at the moment. It can be misleading to compare different days and different times, but that's consistent with bostontraveler's experience and suggests 98 was a large mark-up.
I guess "large" is relative, but I would rather use the hotel's service for 98 euro than an on demand ride for 50. The hotel-arranged car will be there with a sign waiting, and odds of a seamless early check in increase substantially IME. I don't think 2x is a particularly large markup. I see $180-250 at lots of US properties where a black car would be $40-60 on Uber. That's what I would consider a large markup.
TravisMT81 and Kacee like this.
platbrownguy is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 3:38 pm
  #716  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Paris
Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
I guess "large" is relative, but I would rather use the hotel's service for 98 euro than an on demand ride for 50. The hotel-arranged car will be there with a sign waiting, and odds of a seamless early check in increase substantially IME. I don't think 2x is a particularly large markup. I see $180-250 at lots of US properties where a black car would be $40-60 on Uber. That's what I would consider a large markup.
Except it isn't always 2x. Usually the delta is higher than that in Italy... and elsewhere.

Look, do as you please but remember that hotels are a middleman. If money is not a concern than by all means choose what you want.

But objectively you will pay more. Because the hotel isn't offering the service- they are reselling someone else's service.

The US is a bit of an outlier in many ways these days... with huge pent-up local demand and no controlled prices so I would caution against US- Europe comparisons.... very, very different realities.
EuropeanPete and edgewood49 like this.
bostontraveler is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 3:50 pm
  #717  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,487
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
FreeNow lists 50 FCO to StR at the moment. It can be misleading to compare different days and different times, but that's consistent with bostontraveler's experience and suggests 98 was a large mark-up.
That's for a taxi. 98 euro was for a Mercedes E Class.

While some people may not consider it worth it to pay up for either (i) a Mercedes or (ii) a private transfer, it is not accurate to say they are the same thing.
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
But objectively you will pay more.
It's not the same service. You're not just paying for the transport, you're paying for confirmed private transfer in a particular type of vehicle. Also, 5* hotels tend to book higher quality cars and drivers than you will get simply by booking through an app or at random at the taxi stand. Many on this forum are sophisticated consumers of travel services, who understand that cheapest is not always best. Please keep in mind that this thread is for the PH Milan, not the Ibis.

And for the record, I also recommended UA-NYC consider just taking a taxi. But it's simply not accurate to say that booking a private transfer through a luxury hotel is the same as taking a taxi.

Last edited by Kacee; May 30, 22 at 3:58 pm
Kacee is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 4:39 pm
  #718  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Paris
Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's for a taxi. 98 euro was for a Mercedes E Class.

While some people may not consider it worth it to pay up for either (i) a Mercedes or (ii) a private transfer, it is not accurate to say they are the same thing.

It's not the same service. You're not just paying for the transport, you're paying for confirmed private transfer in a particular type of vehicle. Also, 5* hotels tend to book higher quality cars and drivers than you will get simply by booking through an app or at random at the taxi stand. Many on this forum are sophisticated consumers of travel services, who understand that cheapest is not always best. Please keep in mind that this thread is for the PH Milan, not the Ibis.

And for the record, I also recommended UA-NYC consider just taking a taxi. But it's simply not accurate to say that booking a private transfer through a luxury hotel is the same as taking a taxi.
Kacee... You are obfuscating...

I have traveled to 130+ countries and stayed at thousands of hotels. Including the PH Milan MANY times. I fully understand the differences.

My point was it's not necessary. A little research can get you the same product without being fleeced.

If you want to pay hotel prices for transport, all good... go for it
bostontraveler is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 5:04 pm
  #719  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 7,646
You are also more likely to be upgraded or upgraded further booking a hotel car.

I generally use the hotel car on arrival and Blacklane on departure.
m0hamed is online now  
Old May 31, 22, 6:51 am
  #720  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,240
I'm staying out of the good value discussion, but just for reference for the OP I checked Sixt Ride (quite a premium service like Blacklane) and they quote ~180 for MXP to Park Hyatt in a Mercedes Van (Vito) or a VW Multivan which I'd consider with 4 people plus luggage as even an Mercedes E or S Class can struggle with the luggage space if everyone has a suitcase and such.
UA-NYC likes this.
demue is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread