FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Several bad experiences with Marriott. Need help/advice
Old May 21, 2022, 6:17 pm
Radiation Station

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ajf87
I'm still Titanium with some free nights and a decent award balance. I'm currently at the JW in Vegas, got weekend space for 40k/night and was able to burn two 35k free nights +10k points. A fine redemption - this is not an aspirational property by any means but it's very clean and well-maintained and the Titanium benefits combined with their regular promotions make it a good value. Still, absolutely zero upgrade. There's no way they're sold out. For comparison, I'm staying at the LXR at Resorts World, on Hilton points plus a free night over Memorial Day weekend. Already about $2k for three nights for a standard room. Last week I got an email from the concierge, asking me if I had any requests or questions. I told them I was capping off a birthday trip at their property and was hoping for a suite upgrade as a Hilton Diamond even though it was a holiday weekend. I had a confirmed comp 1BR suite upgrade within 72 hours - for three nights over a holiday weekend, on a points stay. And their suites are all 100% sold out per the app... And Hilton waives resort fees on award stays too.

How often does Marriott do stuff like that? If I can't find any good award stays by the end of the year or fail to make Platinum for 2023 I'm just going to transfer all of my MR to Alaska. If I really want to stay with Marriott it will be overseas with the Gold status the Amex Platinum gives me. I'm going to end up directing most of my hotel spend to Hyatt/Hilton/even Wyndham and BAAH/Rocketmiles. It's just no longer a good value proposition with what their points are now worth coupled with their earn rates, especially when status doesn't really get you anything special and is now optional for the franchisees.
Marriott status isn’t taken seriously in the USA because everyone has it due to credit cards etc, and also due to the lack of professional and decent customer service in the US. The status is taken far more seriously in Europe.