Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Several bad experiences with Marriott. Need help/advice

Several bad experiences with Marriott. Need help/advice

Old May 20, 22, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are overthinking about it regarding your wife's account might be put under review by Marriott. Besides, given what has been going for Marriott for the past few years, it is very doubleful notes put on accounts would even get actions taken on a timely fashion - just look at the sister thread on another guy getting multiple responses from the Lurker essentially saying the same useless thing without making any progress on his case.

Enjoy your travel. We are doing the same to get rid of 3 expiring certs in the last week of June.

Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Here is what Amex says about the credits, so I do see your point "Any merchant credits that were received towards the fraudulent charges will be debited in order to avoid duplicate credits. Any debits would appear on an upcoming statement.".

However, the reason I had my wife proactively reach out to Marriott with the second credit is she has a 2 trips coming up in June. I don't want her to show up and fine that she can't check in because your account is under review, etc.

I'm sure this will all get sorted in the end. However, we still have to travel in June and need to have assurance that we aren't going to show up with an issue.
Old May 20, 22, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Serious question: why do any of you stay at Marriott by choice now? Their system is broken and their morality compass is broken too - they just don't care about us.

I'm seriously perplexed why anyone would stay at Marriott to requalify for its loyalty program or to get any benefits.

I just don't get it.

I have had zero paid stays since March 2020. Lifetime Titanium here. I've been spending at Hyatt and going independent - Niccolo and the such
Old May 20, 22, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
Serious question: why do any of you stay at Marriott by choice now? Their system is broken and their morality compass is broken too - they just don't care about us.

I'm seriously perplexed why anyone would stay at Marriott to requalify for its loyalty program or to get any benefits.

I just don't get it.

I have had zero paid stays since March 2020. Lifetime Titanium here. I've been spending at Hyatt and going independent - Niccolo and the such
Nowadays I treat each individual MR properties as independent. If I read good/great reviews of said property here on FT and elsewhere, then I'd still stay as I am more confident that management at that property will make things right if things do go wrong. It's very clear to me that corporate can't/won't give a damn or else they wouldnt be putting inept/lying CS agents on the elite line.

That's why I feel it's important to name erring properties here and members contributing to property masterthreads so that we may have a clearer picture on how properties are run.

For me, the only CS teams I find honest and helpful are the BRG team & the lurkers. They have still remained consistently reliable in fixing things in my own experiences. But the Elite line, forget it.

But gone were the days where I wouldn't even set foot in a country if there wasn't a Starwood Property. I was that loyal to SPG. But I'm taking this as a blessing in disguise. I've have visited 95 countries by my late 30s because I don't feel the need to stay at an MR property just to maintain status.
margarita girl and spgvun like this.

Last edited by supatight80; May 21, 22 at 12:20 am
Old May 21, 22, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold

I just don't get it.

For many of us it is all about the footprint, just as I am a captive of United Airlines.

I have been grievously Bonvyed by both Marriott and UA. After over a decade of striving for lifetime Titanium Elite status (then called Platinum), including close to one million dollars credit card spend, Marriott abruptly shut off new qualifications on Tuesday, 31 December 2018. BOHICA!

Similarly, I bought a lifetime United Club membership over two decades ago, allowing unlimited access. Yet on Friday, 1 November 2019, UA began requiring same-day flights on Star Alliance carriers (including UA), in blatant violation of our contract.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

What liars! Both of them. They really need lessons on ethics and integrity.

Yet, I have little choice. On the cusp of lifetime Marriott Bonvy Platinum Elite status, I shifted most of my stays and credit card spend to my wife two years ago so she can earn the same.

I will also be getting a Hilton Aspire AmEx card so as to have Hilton Honors Diamond status that way.

I have been getting good treatment from Marriott in Asia, where I mostly stay. Hyatt does not always have properties where I visit, and as a sexagenarian of modest means, it is too late for me to seek lifetime status with them, even if their loyalty program is much better.

Beaucoup Bonvy!
Old May 21, 22, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
It's good to see that a Lurker has reached out to you. They can do great things. Let's hope that they can get this sorted.
Lurkers could do great things in the past. But since Marriott's takeover combined with William's departure, I feel their wings have been clipped.
Old May 21, 22, 2:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador

I just don't get it.

It really depends on your travel habits and experiences. My experience with Marriott has been generally positive. I usually get my promised perks including upgrades, and pre-Covid my free breakfast. Early check-in and late check-out have never been refused, and the lounges are reopening. For me, staying at Marriott is a no-brainer.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and spgvun like this.
Old May 21, 22, 2:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've not really had any issues. The only time I did (missing points for a stay), it was resolved in 48 hours and I also got some bonus points.

It's a solid brand, and I generally get treated very well, especially in the Middle East and Far East.
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old May 21, 22, 4:49 am

Everyone's situation is different. We like Marriott Vacation Club (which has been a separate company for a while) a lot. Just all around great experiences with MVC.

We have a lot of points left from the SPG merger that transferred in.

Our in person experiences where we stay are consistently good. We choose where we stay based on recent reviews.

Depending on where we are going, Marriott may be the only good option if you want stay at a chain.

Marriott HQ has some issues with IT. They also just are not customer centric, so you end up with threads like this. But, we can't just throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I just don't get it.

SPN Lifer and spgvun like this.
Old May 21, 22, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | GHA Titanium | Omni Black | IHG Platinum | I Prefer Elite

I just don't get it.

I also really like Niccolo! Btw, you do know that Niccolo is part of GHA just like its parent's namesake, Marco Polo, and that the Murray is also LHW affiliated, right?
Old May 21, 22, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC

I just don't get it.

I'm still Titanium with some free nights and a decent award balance. I'm currently at the JW in Vegas, got weekend space for 40k/night and was able to burn two 35k free nights +10k points. A fine redemption - this is not an aspirational property by any means but it's very clean and well-maintained and the Titanium benefits combined with their regular promotions make it a good value. Still, absolutely zero upgrade. There's no way they're sold out. For comparison, I'm staying at the LXR at Resorts World, on Hilton points plus a free night over Memorial Day weekend. Already about $2k for three nights for a standard room. Last week I got an email from the concierge, asking me if I had any requests or questions. I told them I was capping off a birthday trip at their property and was hoping for a suite upgrade as a Hilton Diamond even though it was a holiday weekend. I had a confirmed comp 1BR suite upgrade within 72 hours - for three nights over a holiday weekend, on a points stay. And their suites are all 100% sold out per the app... And Hilton waives resort fees on award stays too.

How often does Marriott do stuff like that? If I can't find any good award stays by the end of the year or fail to make Platinum for 2023 I'm just going to transfer all of my MR to Alaska. If I really want to stay with Marriott it will be overseas with the Gold status the Amex Platinum gives me. I'm going to end up directing most of my hotel spend to Hyatt/Hilton/even Wyndham and BAAH/Rocketmiles. It's just no longer a good value proposition with what their points are now worth coupled with their earn rates, especially when status doesn't really get you anything special and is now optional for the franchisees.
Old May 21, 22, 6:17 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
I'm still Titanium with some free nights and a decent award balance. I'm currently at the JW in Vegas, got weekend space for 40k/night and was able to burn two 35k free nights +10k points. A fine redemption - this is not an aspirational property by any means but it's very clean and well-maintained and the Titanium benefits combined with their regular promotions make it a good value. Still, absolutely zero upgrade. There's no way they're sold out. For comparison, I'm staying at the LXR at Resorts World, on Hilton points plus a free night over Memorial Day weekend. Already about $2k for three nights for a standard room. Last week I got an email from the concierge, asking me if I had any requests or questions. I told them I was capping off a birthday trip at their property and was hoping for a suite upgrade as a Hilton Diamond even though it was a holiday weekend. I had a confirmed comp 1BR suite upgrade within 72 hours - for three nights over a holiday weekend, on a points stay. And their suites are all 100% sold out per the app... And Hilton waives resort fees on award stays too.

How often does Marriott do stuff like that? If I can't find any good award stays by the end of the year or fail to make Platinum for 2023 I'm just going to transfer all of my MR to Alaska. If I really want to stay with Marriott it will be overseas with the Gold status the Amex Platinum gives me. I'm going to end up directing most of my hotel spend to Hyatt/Hilton/even Wyndham and BAAH/Rocketmiles. It's just no longer a good value proposition with what their points are now worth coupled with their earn rates, especially when status doesn't really get you anything special and is now optional for the franchisees.
Marriott status isnt taken seriously in the USA because everyone has it due to credit cards etc, and also due to the lack of professional and decent customer service in the US. The status is taken far more seriously in Europe.
slowly and margarita girl like this.
Old May 21, 22, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
Marriott status isnt taken seriously in the USA because everyone has it due to credit cards etc, and also due to the lack of professional and decent customer service in the US. The status is taken far more seriously in Europe.
At minimum Titanium takes 40 nights, that's with a business and personal card. It's not low-tier status. Hilton gives everyone their highest tier with cards and still actually provides a decent return in terms of points and benefits. Gold and Silver I agree, they give those away.
SPN Lifer and Tanic like this.
Old May 22, 22, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
Marriott status isn’t taken seriously in the USA because everyone has it due to credit cards etc, and also due to the lack of professional and decent customer service in the US. The status is taken far more seriously in Europe.
Also in Asia Pacific, even better than in Europe.

That is true for all programs. The elite status does not worth much inside US but once you are in Asia and Europe, the perks and benefits do make you want to keep the status. So it circles back to the never ending argument - It all depends WHERE you travel.

At this moment, a HHonor Diamond can be had at very low cost (the AMEX CC, which even give back $ value to offset part of the AF), and Diamond status in Europe / Asia Pacific do enjoy very very good recognition / benefits, plus Hilton's foot print is not much less than Marriott's, unlike the much touted Hyatt. Though Hyatt is doing a lot to add partner hotels but those only allow you to redeem but not give you any elite benefits. So that is still lacking, but it is still good to see Hyatt is making some moves.
Old May 22, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Also in Asia Pacific, even better than in Europe.

That is true for all programs. The elite status does not worth much inside US but once you are in Asia and Europe, the perks and benefits do make you want to keep the status. So it circles back to the never ending argument - It all depends WHERE you travel.
Yes, I only omitted Asia because I havent had the good fortune to make it there yet as an elite, mostly due to covid.
Old May 22, 22, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
At minimum Titanium takes 40 nights, that's with a business and personal card. It's not low-tier status. Hilton gives everyone their highest tier with cards and still actually provides a decent return in terms of points and benefits. Gold and Silver I agree, they give those away.
Yes, but it takes 60 nights in the UK and 75 in a lot of Europe, which is a big difference. So the USA is relatively saturated with Titaniums.

And Marriott was giving away Platinum with an Amex recently in the US, I believe. I may well be wrong there, but thought I had read it on OMAAT.

Search this Thread